Thinking of changing my membership to Maker.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have a question for you, trying to gauge if it is worth doing or not. I am not going to tell you how much they cost me to make, I am after honest answers to the question please

If I do this I would probably start with small plain colour shoulder bags. Mine generally have a main section, at least one zipped pocket and are made from 2 layers of water proof material. Although with stitching it is impossible for me to ensue they are fully water proof. But I usually try to make the lid out of one piece with as little stitching as possible to try and keep the top water proof.

So this is the question -

How much would you think is a reasonable price to pay for a hand made shoulder bag like this ?

£10-20
£20-30
£30-40
£40-50
£50-60

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The first question you have to ask yourself is how much does all the material and other bits and pieces cost to make the bag.

That's the absolute base level you'd charge but then you get into how long does it take to make the bag? NMW is £7.65 per hour I think so that's not unreasonable to put into the equation.

So if a bag costs £10 in materials and takes you 3 hours to make then you should be charging a minimum of £35 for it

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have you any pictures of one's you have made. If so put them up and create a poll and gauge what people would be willing to pay against what they cost to make plus your profit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
Have you any pictures of one's you have made. If so put them up and create a poll and gauge what people would be willing to pay against what they cost to make plus your profit.

I would also like to see some examples before saying how much I would pay for them. Also, would there be any optional items i.e. side pockets etc.

thanks
Tim B

Aug 19, 2016
Somerset
The first question you have to ask yourself is how much does all the material and other bits and pieces cost to make the bag.

That's the absolute base level you'd charge but then you get into how long does it take to make the bag? NMW is £7.65 per hour I think so that's not unreasonable to put into the equation.

So if a bag costs £10 in materials and takes you 3 hours to make then you should be charging a minimum of £35 for it

Mesquite's approach is solid. (I disagree with where he sets the base level though)
I'd like to suggest that an artisan craftsman is worth more than the NMW.
I'd factor in the baseline costs of tools, power, heat, light, training courses over a 12 month period and divide it by the number of units produced in that time too.
You may also want to put HMRC's requirements into your thinking too.
That's where I'd set the base level.

I'd also suggest you check out the competition pricing.
If there are eBay equivalents selling for less than you can make them for, you may struggle unless you can demonstrate clear added value and differentiation.

However the sums turn out, good luck with the venture
Sandy McB

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks for the replies so far. I know how much I would need to charge for a bag. The issue is knowing if there is a market for the bag at that price.
I will probably make one of the bags and then send it into someone to field test and put it to some hard use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the replies so far. I know how much I would need to charge for a bag. The issue is knowing if there is a market for the bag at that price.
I will probably make one of the bags and then send it into someone to field test and put it to some hard use

Mr Fenna would be our man for that.

He's got extensive knowledge regarding designing and making your own kit as well as putting it to good use.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Mr Fenna would be our man for that.

He's got extensive knowledge regarding designing and making your own kit as well as putting it to good use.

That was my thought as well, I will have a word with him sometime.

So any ideas input to the design welcome.

I am planning to start with this shape and size, plain colour, but not bothering about the expansion zips on the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3117...=9045013&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0

It will have a zipped pocket under the flap, Molle/PALS on one side and a mesh pocket on the other side.

Do people like -
Extra D rings on the outside to attach items to ?
Separate sections inside ?
Clips to attach keys etc on the inside ?

Anything else ?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I can't really comment on the bags as it's not my style, so I'd not be of much help. But I'd like to say I hope you do become a maker. We need more makers on here, and it's great to see people taking the initiative and trying new things. Good luck, I hope these take off :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I carved spoons of various shapes and gave them out as field/marketing examples.
In production of approx 12 at a time, about 90 minutes from beginning to end.
The market turned out to be poor. I got bored to tears carving the things.

Just make sure(?) that you're still happy after sewing up #50.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I carved spoons of various shapes and gave them out as field/marketing examples.
In production of approx 12 at a time, about 90 minutes from beginning to end.
The market turned out to be poor. I got bored to tears carving the things.

Just make sure(?) that you're still happy after sewing up #50.

Thanks, initially I will only be making one or two.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Your work is certainly very good. The question will be are you going to make to order, what you fancy or custom designs

I think there is definatly a market for bushcraft old school kit, haveracks, bread bags and possibles bags made of modern materials

you'd also need to think about what colours you'd offer

good luck with you new venture...

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I personally don't like the velcro on the front of the army pack, so different fixings for me. I like the pack to be a little bit bigger and more rectangular. Not too bothered about D rings as I usually use the ones the straps fix to.

thanks
Tim B

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE