Thick layer.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
First, Is the darker layer in this fungi the layer with which to make amadou tinder. I dont think this is a horses hoof but instead a related species which I have been told can be processed the same way.

Second. The outer shell seems Impossible to separate from the rest of the fungi. Any Ideas.

Third. I have read that I should boil the layer for 24hrs (shame because Ive spent a week drying the blinking thing), but the layer is VERY thick (and a bit crumbly). How should I go about sectioning it (if at all) before boiling.

Cheers.
Stu.

Amadu_small.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think I know that one, but, if you have it very dry, try lighting one edge of a slice of it.
Does it keep a glowing ember that won't blow out ? If it does it's a goodie :D

The boiling just really softens the thing up so that it can be bashed into a sort of thick felty velvety layer that will catch a spark and let it glow.

There's a tremendous amount of mince talked about some of the methods too, I think some of the weirder ones are kind of conflated from other uses.
i.e. Boiling for 24 hours in urine :rolleyes:
I use ammonia to degrease fleece before dyeing, and it's also used to help 'pull' a reluctant dye form lichens and fungi. Once I have the process started I boil up the fungi in water and simmer for a long time. This becomes my dye liquor and the fungi is discarded........unless it's fomes or the like when I dry it and use it to catch sparks for firelighting....I think this then became that somehow it was 'necessary' to boil up the fungi in urine to make it suitable for sparkcatching...... :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Forgot, :eek: the shell comes off if you carve it when it's still moist or use a potato peeler.....I know it sounds silly but it does work. Failing that and it's bone dry, it's really really hard....I've actually heard someone admit to using a belt sander to remove it :D A sharp heavy knife and lots of patience works I find.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE