Thermette

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The price is the only thing that stopped me a while back. It is a bigger capacity than the Kelly, but roughly the same boil time. I believe there was a video done by Jack Mountain Bushcraft on youtube of a boil off between the two. I'll see if I can find it.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The price is the only thing that stopped me a while back. It is a bigger capacity than the Kelly, but roughly the same boil time. I believe there was a video done by Jack Mountain Bushcraft on youtube of a boil off between the two. I'll see if I can find it.

But the $ is not too dear? I expect postage from US is though!!!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got both a Kelly and a Thermette and, of the two, I definitely prefer the Thermette. Reasons? I prefer the handle arrangement on the copper beast, it does appear to boil the water very slightly quicker than the Kelly and, apparently, the copper has the effect of killing off bugs in the water that you boil (as if boiling weren't enough in itself!). There are some disadvantages when it comes to cost but I reckon the Thermette will last longer and will have a less detrimental effect on my health than its aluminium cousin.

As with any shopping decision, it's down to your personal choice, budget, interest and so on.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I just recently purchased a Thermette and would agree almost completely with TubbyFrazers assessment of the build quality. I am not sending mine back though.

I have both the large and small Kelly and their craftmanship is top end. The Thermette has a sort of high school metal shop look to it. I have not fired mine yet so cannot say how much I like it once it is in use. The handles bother me quite a bit on it too...I have small hands and am worried I will fry my knuckles every time I lift it...it only took one time lifting a Kelly straight up to learn how to do it right:D

Anyway, I have no concerns whatsoever concerning the Aluminum in the Kelly and really do appreciate its fine lines and super efficient workings.

I had the Thermette on my list for a couple of years....I am glad I bought it, but was also quite dissapointed that it is made in China as I really thought it was NZ also. The top cook ring looks interesting and the larger volume is why I am keeping my Thermette...but it will likely never achieve the sort of affection I hold for my one pint Kelly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE