The turning year. (photo heavy)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
The first days of February are of special significance to some people and a good time to be in the wood. A few photos from six nights out.
First...the news..
After stringent scientific investigation it has been announced that these are not the remains of Bambi, as at first thought.
imbolc010_zps2d1f2d05.jpg

The show business burial at DisneyLand (Florida) will not now take place. An Elder Elf has decided on a simple woodland ceremony instead. Invitations have been sent and those attending are, Thumper Rabbit and two or three dozen of his children, a senior member of the Owl family..toowit..Ollie. Mr & Mrs D Duck and any of the Dwarves who happen to be sober on the day. This excludes Droopy who is temporarily banished from Wicca's wood after the disgraceful incident on Wednesday last, resulting in the subsequent complaint by Tinkerbelle. (upheld)

If it's of any interest, this is six nights (seven days) rations. I stop off at a cafe on the way to the wood and have...I think it's a "Trucker number 2"..;) that does me 'till the evening and then it's just soup once the camp is sorted out. Four meals and breakfasts then on day six I just eat whatevers left over.. I'm not a 'Foodie' at all, curry rice for breakfast porridge for tea..doesn't matter.. Last day is just a brew and biscuits before breaking camp and walking out. Cafe on the way home..;)
imbolc002_zps885ff745.jpg
imbolc003_zpse10a3360.jpg

The recent rains have topped the well up nicely and encouraged the fungi growth.
imbolc040_zpsa58dcacf.jpg
imbolc037_zpse9d6761f.jpg
imbolc039_zps78f87b49.jpg

The Dawns were cold but the wood warms quickly and I've noticed the milder feel to the days since I camped in the wood a couple of weeks ago. It's good to feel the sun flooding down the slope and thawing out the ice on the tent each morning.
imbolc021_zps74b41330.jpg
imbolc023_zps7b7d4352.jpg
imbolc024_zpsa425cc51.jpg
imbolc053_zps8ec074f9.jpg

My bird boxes are nicely weathered now and hearing the Bluetits chinking away in the sunshine, I think new tenants are eyeing the vacant properties up with a view to moving in soon, and there was a couple of busy nights at the Badger Sett judging by the noise coming from their patch of the wood.
imbolc016_zps732e9600.jpg
imbolc043_zps0218df69.jpg
imbolc044_zps51cbb9f7.jpg

A wander along my stream. The Elves Bridge..so named by my Grandaughter..;) The rain filled stream reveals something from long ago, previously buried under a 'leaf jamb' in the stream. Any guesses? Late 1930's to '50's sometime perhaps? Long before plastic hub caps anyway.
imbolc050_zps8bb16f00.jpg
imbolc015_zpsb24739d3.jpg
imbolc027_zpsdf1ccd66.jpg

When there is no breeze to move the trees, the stream provides the night music in the stillness. Although I have heard the sound since I was too young to walk, the other night the Vixen screamed that blood curdling call when she was about 50 metres from my tent..:yikes: I know the sound, I know who makes it and why it is made, but just for a micro second I was back in a cave clutching a stone axe..:yelrotflm

A classic North-South tree, and one of the great Beeches in life and death..
imbolc051_zps71ca4b9d.jpg
imbolc047_zps9e45fc65.jpg
imbolc049_zpsc002c88f.jpg

A couple of my 'seats' to sit and listen and watch the life of the wood. In the summer the moss is warm and soft and and makes a good cushion and backrest.
imbolc041_zps04a8c734.jpg
imbolc034_zpse3dd7ce3.jpg

Life on the trees and a strange green colouring that I find on fallen Ash (mostly)?
imbolc033_zps6fe0094c.jpg
imbolc032_zps1d736a4e.jpg

imbolc018_zps98c4dd83.jpg
imbolc025_zps9f65281a.jpg

My mate's little Grandaughter calls this The fire lighting tree..she learns quickly..:) And an Ash who's days are ending.
imbolc036_zpsd30a5d23.jpg
imbolc005_zpsa1ba5b61.jpg

But for those who understand, the days of the Holly King's reign are numbered and the wheel turns.
Soon the wood will have a blue carpet.
imbolc035_zps593fd769.jpg
:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely looking place there Wicca, one of the woods we go to is just coming alive with thousands of Bluebell shoots, not long and as you say, it will be a carpet of blue.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thank you for that. I am spending a couple of days in the woods from Monday, first visit for two weeks and I'll be looking for the signs of change you describe.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ahhhh, thats lovely, Wicca! But ominous to hear of ash who's days are ending, hope thats not a portent with all the chamala crazy hunting going on :S Mmmm photos? I only see the writing, but that was lovely on its own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE