The Ochills - The Law and Ben Cleuch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Didn't read your heading properly and assumed that you were on Coalsnaur.
There is a nice wee sheltered cairn there with a hollow to the East which is good for a bivvy away from the prevailing west wind. I like the Ochils and was a member of the Ochils rescue team for thirteen years but retired a long time ago to give the younger lads a chance as there is a great demand by serious hill walkers to get on the team. I like the Ochils because they are handy for me but a lot of peaple disregard them as they are not as spectacular as some of the other bigger ranges . I camped in the middle one time, on my way from Tilli or Alva to Blackford just for an overnight stop. I got very little sleep as the local Scouts had an overnight challenge hike on covering several check points on the tops and they thought I was one of the safety Check points . I was wakened about every 15 minutes for a spell in the middle of the night. Pick your site well and try to avoid the school holidays-- I think that is when it was. May meet you there some time. Cheers Ol' Smokey

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yip, great wee hills. I like the contrast in the view of the Forth Bridges and the meanders of the forth, with the Arrochar Alps and Ben Lawers west and north.

Think you were camping just after the Bealach on Andrew Gannel hill ?

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My grandparents came from the Hillfoots and I'm very fond of the Ochils :) Lots of good memories, and the hills are rich in a huge variety of minerals too. An excellent ramble.
Ladybirds overwinter in masses along the handrails of the Alva Glen, very weird to see and they fascinated my children.
Sunday walks were always up a hill, and Ben Cleugh was a favourite; over the centuries kids must have added tons to the hill carrying up a stone for the cairn :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE