The Joseph Method Of Flint & Steel Fire Lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Interesting video!
I was surprised to hear that this is not the usual and most used method of using steel and flint .

Ive always done it this way , and in fact , am having trouble with working out how not to....
Try to strike a flint onto the steel , with tinder underneath seems rather difficult???
Even with crampball mushrooms it seems easier to do it "Joseph's" way surely?!

Even my 9 year old lad can get those lit that way...
Here's a pic I took a few weeks back when we went to try out different primitive fire methods and materials ...

Cramp balls or King Alfred's cakes and flint&steel
8b5c0cd29b316943b59eb8ba5b6b3121.jpg

9e42f1bfc10af994790250e54c0d6921.jpg

And with quartz (instead of flint) &steel and charcloth

07f72b8cd843912a07393e8434788b4a.jpg

bullrush and clematis definitely harder to light than charcloth or (dried) crampballs, but still really easy , much easier than friction...

Anyhow
You mention the match (spunk?) are these easy to make ?
Can you put us in the right direction please , or even just a different name for it , as a Google search brings up all sorts of wrong stuff...
😒

Either way great demonstration , thank you for sharing .

Interesting video!
I was surprised to hear that this is not the usual and most used method of using steel and flint .

Either way great demonstration , thank you for sharing .

I guess it is a matter of preference & familiarity. I prefer to use a tinderbox. The tinderbox makes it easy to prepare plant tinders & it preserves the tinder in the tinderbox for further use. If you char plant tinder material in the fire, then you need to extinguish the smouldering embers to preserve the tinder. Also you need to keep this tinder dry in something. I look at fire lighting from a long term use perspective, not just a one off fire.
Regards, Keith.
Tinderbox3_zpsi4wj0unr.jpg

Firebag2_zpsd5f9babb.jpg

My tinderbox is kept dry inside this greased leather fire bag, which in turn is carried in my belt pouch.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I guess it is a matter of preference & familiarity. I prefer to use a tinderbox. The tinderbox makes it easy to prepare plant tinders & it preserves the tinder in the tinderbox for further use. If you char plant tinder material in the fire, then you need to extinguish the smouldering embers to preserve the tinder. Also you need to keep this tinder dry in something. I look at fire lighting from a long term use perspective, not just a one off fire.
Regards, Keith.
Tinderbox3_zpsi4wj0unr.jpg

Firebag2_zpsd5f9babb.jpg

My tinderbox is kept dry inside this greased leather fire bag, which in turn is carried in my belt pouch.
Very cool! Thanks for that, I might be trying and stealing some of these ideas...
Thanks again for sharing.

PS- how do I make a "spunk" ? As it would simplify greatly lighting candle from ember rather than using bundle and blowing etc...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE