"The Good Life"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Have you read this book? There's a foreword by Ray Mears. I want to read it but the e-bookstore in DK doesn't have it yet. :cry: It sounds very exiting... Only thing I would miss, would be BCUK... :wink: :D
Check it out at the Woodlore site! :pack:

F

frog71_uk

Different book, same title:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...388/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/026-4676394-0122039

A true story too, about a couple moving into the countryside, after being made redundant from their jobs lecturing in an American university on the ground of their political beliefs. (The reference they make to their knowledge of "social engineering" probably gives some background as to their political sensibility :wink: ) The interesting thing is their dedication and sense of organisation to make their project succeed, and their philosophy of life through examples of their daily life and projects, practical bushcraft so to speak?

It dates back some decades, but the ethos is very much the same as some more recent stories ... maybe the "bug" is not such a new thing anyway... after all, there is a study in one of Freud's work on the impact of modernisation and its effect on mankind's unhappiness ... but I digress .

Anyway, take care :)

F

frog71_uk

Sorry TheVicking, I was highjacking your thread to post another recommendation :wink:

Rod

On a new journey
Hi,

I finished this last week. A totally rivertting read. The couple jacked in the jobs in Cornwall and went of to Canada. Ending up in the Yukon, having had quite a few adventures (& near death experiences) along the way.

Got my copy in Ottakars. Forward by Ray doesn't give alot away. They do refer to having done a course with him early on. Everything else they learnt through trial and error!

Hope this helps
Rod

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Not quiet finished it but I can safetly say its brilliant.

Dorian has a dry sense of humour I can identify with which made reading it a great pleasure. Their experiences are inspiring and we can all learn from their mistakes.

One thing that the book clearly shows is that 'common sense' not kit rules the day - and further to this it also shows how their shared experiences brought him and Bridget (his wife closer together) strengthening their bond.

Overall very inspiring, comical and down to earth.

I give it a big :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE