The Englishman who went up a hill..

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Well I'm not English, but anyone who knows the title should be able to work out where we camped last night. I camped with my 4 year old son, it's the second time we've camped on this mountain/hill (I don't believe there is an official definition of a mountain), and the first time in our new Hilleberg Akto. Yes, we both fitted inside and we had a particularly good nights sleep. My son always sleeps like a baby, I'm quite a warm sleeper so often struggle in warmer weather. The temperature here has dropped in the past week and last night it was supposed to get down to single digit temperatures which suites me as I sleep much better in the cold.

We had quite a nice sunset, and a beautiful clear sky looking South which had turned overcast by morning. With an almost full moon, it was a bright night. I couldn't be bothered cooking so we took crusty rolls for dinner, some snacks and hot chocolate. Henry fell asleep around 20:30 and by 21:00 I was unusually tired myself. I took Survival Advantage with me to read but could only manage a few pages before heading off to sleep myself.

In the morning, Henry woke up around 06:30 but I managed another half hour shut eye whilst he messed around with a few toys. We got up and had hot chocolate and a little bit of breakfast, packed away and walked to the trig point before heading back down.

I know the Akto is a bit of marmite tent but I really like it. It definitely has it's compromises but I bought it for one specific task, solo camping in heavy winter conditions where I can have peace of mind that it should stand up to strong winds and rain. There was condensation on the inside of the outer shell this morning, even with the vents wide open, although there was only a slight breeze throughout the night and a particularly heavy dew on the ground this morning. The inner tent did a good job of keeping us dry from the condensation on the outer with very little to no condensation on the inside of the inner. I'm really excited to test this tent out in some stronger winds and rain.

Thank you and hope you enjoy the photos..

In the background you can see the Brecon beacons.

Zoomed in. From left to right: Corn Du, Pen Y Fan, Cribyn, Fan Y Big.

Hot chocolate in the evening, as you can see the weather was glorious.

The moon at around 20:30.

There was just enough room for the two of us inside the Akto.

No trace was left.

It was about this time on a Sunday morning that I started to feel hungry.

Feeling blessed to have so much of the outdoors in Wales.

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
A great way to spend time with your son, thanks for taking us along with you.

As for what defines a mountain rather than a hill, a mountain apparently has to be at least 2,000ft or 610mts above sea level.
Yes, it's more of a general acceptance than an official definition. Some consider 1,000ft to be a mountain, hence 'The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain'.

I would consider it a hill really, but locally, most people call it 'Garth Mountain'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE