The Chisel's Askew

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I re-purposed two of my Grandads 1/2" chisels they now have an effective cutting pitch of about 26°
They would never have seen use as normal chisels as I have others to use.Took a few minutes with an angle grinder, taking care not to blue the metal, then a few more on my Tormek.

skew%2520chisels2.jpg

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Yes BR, my chessboard from offcuts from a couple of jobs, American Black Walnut and Maple oiled finish but needs cutting back and redoing due to dust in the oil.
Chess.jpg

Just got to carve some chessmen now.
Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
You Sir are too kind, I get to see it close up, but I really appreciate the comment.:)

Philster, I have felt the need for one on occasion and thought about buying them but at 30 quid a pair for something I will only use occasionally stopped me. No doubt I will be using these regularly now I have them:D

Rob.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That chessboard looks deceptively simple but I know how hard it is to cut a perfect square. Are they veneers or blocks? If blocks I take my hat off to you, sir.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The squares are about 6mm thick glued to a piece of 19mm veneered mdf, however, I glued strips of walnut and maple together then cut the resulting panel into strips as wide as the strips were then glued these together and onto the VMDF. The surround is Domino'd onto the MDF (a biscuit jointer would do the same job).

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE