The Bushcraft palace develops

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On my last trip into the woods I started building the lean-to shelter that has been described as "a palace" - it is big...
On this trip I had the Friday on my own and finished the weight bearing structure before I - once again - ran out of rope...
as it was
P3170002.jpg
After work on Friday
P3180007.jpg
I also did a bit of work Saturday morning before the lads arrived - replaced the "Sight Screens" around the toilet, replaced one forked pole and cross bar on the fire, rebuilt a chair and got in some firewood prepared...
P3180005.jpg
chair.jpg
After the lads arrived we got the roof beams fitted and the first layer of tarps lashed in place
P3180014.jpg.
Friday had been OK but with a little rain and wind but I have been told that the night was very wet and windy - but I slept a full 10 hours without noticing a thing!
Saturday night was a bit different...
Just after getting into my loverly, cozy, comfy stretcher bed one of the side poles broke (it had been in use for a good 3 years...) and I was dumped, unceremoniously onto the cold hard!
I made the best of the deal but slept less well and was packing to go shortly after 6am...
Breakfast was held around the campfire under the big cammo tarp - but once the eating and drinking was done, down came the tarp to fill its new role as a top layer of protection (against UV and falling twigs) on the palace.
P3190015.jpg
P3190016.jpg
P3190017.jpg
The final building work done folk started to finalise packing and to leave ... and gather materials for Stage Two - the side walls, Table and Fittings...
Futre plans were discussed - Pole lathe, shave horse, etc - and the world put to rights as per any Meet and (despite breaking my bed) I felt that it had been a good and productive meet :)

Attachments

• P3180010.jpg
    P3180010.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A pit house!
I love the idea but we have 6" of topsoil and then solid slate!
Even digging a latrine pit is a chore :rolleyes:
The woods are above an old quarry....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE