Test Of Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I managed to get a Mora like this for free and wanted to test it out today. :wink:

I pointed out a 4 cm. mark on the blade and took a hammer! :wink:
Like the BCUK team did with the Puukko, I did with the Mora and I managed to hammer it 4 cm. into the tree. :D Stepped on it and it didn't break before I jumped on it! :) :biggthump

So thumbs up for the Mora! It broke, but it was free. :biggthump

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
TheViking said:
Hi...

I managed to get a Mora like this for free and wanted to test it out today.
So thumbs up for the Mora! It broke, but it was free.

Why?? did you deliberately destroy it??

I'm puzzled why you should want to do such a thing, was it the simple fact you got it for nothing so it didn't matter. :?:

jakunen

Native
TheViking said:
It broke, but it was free. :biggthump
Ok, so it was free, but why purposefully destroy a good knife?:?: Seems utterly senseless to me!

These tests have been performed before so what drove you to try it yourself?

I got a free Finnish Laap knife from Gary when I did a course with him. Despite, the fact that I already have a Puuku I baught from Stewart and an Opinel I've had for 20 years, I'm keeping the other one 'in case' as it is a damn good knife.

Cannot understand the wilfull destruction of a perfectly good piece of kit...

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Does seem a bit of a waste of a knife as well as the time/materials/effort to make it :?:

Should of sent it to me and I would of tested it for you :eek:): . Ive used nothing but a cheap Forsts knife I got for a tenner and have found it great.

Not having a pop but wouldnt knocking a knife/axe into a tree damage it?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Okay here's the deal.

Well a friend had one left so he gave it to me. I wanted to test it out with the test as written in Mors' book, to see if the blade was strong. :wink: And when I jumped on it to see if it could take the pressure it broke. So there's nothing in it than just testing the knife.... :biggthump
There was a little rust on it and the edge was blunt so I didn't wanna waste time by grinding, as I don't like this... :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
ARGH... one of me friends deleted the message while getting a piece of paper. Still in school.

I wanted to test it out like like the bcuk team, and while there was some slight rust on it, it didn't matter if it broke.
I got it from a friend for free. But if the team could test a puukko, why not me testing a mora? :roll: :wink: :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
jakunen said:
These tests have been performed before so what drove you to try it yourself?
Well you now, it's learning by doing. :wink: Knowledge is something but experience is another. I wanted to do my own experiences, instead of just reading what the bcuk team did... :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Fair enough..... we did it because many would not believe a stick tang could take it, even though mors said so in his book.... we just wanted to put it to the test to get a diffinative answer.

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Nothing wrong with destructive testing. In fact, if more things were tested that way, the quality of the products around us would no doubt be better.

Your knife TheViking, your rules! :biggthump

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I agree with Adi, sometimes it is worth to test a product to destruction. Now we all know that he mora is not as strong as the puukko, but can still withhold more than it ever would need to. Did we know that before? :lol:

Cheers,

Jake

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
I think it is a good idea to test thing to destruction like Viking said, Knowledge is okay but experience is better.
If you really had to rely on something you would not feel able to use the knife / hammock / anything without worrying if it would break.

Reminds me of a time when a broke a wall and not a hammock.
It was my own fault for letting my sister and Tone get in it at the same time as me. :eek:): :yikes: :nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE