Tent recomendation.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not for myself. A friend has decided that she wants to camp on lundy next spring to see the puffins.
I've passed on some of my old kit to help her out, but she's not sure what tent to get.
She is a novice, so something easy to pitch, preferably outer and inner put up together, and then she just has to peg out. It's an exposed island campsite, so needs to be sturdy. Also plenty of room, as further trips (if she likes it) will be with a large dog.(red setter). She is 5' 6" tall and shall we say cuddly.
Max about 2kg weight, but lighter would be appreciated.
Also need to be budget friendly.
Tall order perhaps but any experience, advice, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I'm on the verge of recommending the robens starlight 2, but not sure as I don't own one myself, wondering if there is anything better out there. Thanks.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Alpkit Tarp star. The 1 gives you a porch the 2 doesn’t. Same tent two different inner options. May depend where the dog will be happy. £180. 1kg. You do need your own trekking pole as well though.

Set up usually inner first peg out corners and lift with pole to tension it. And then put fly over the top. With practice it is possible to add an inner afterwards, probably less fiddly if using the 1 inner. Probably can pitch inner and outer together but I’ve never tried that.

Another option might be the DD Pyramid. £97. And then get a cheap mesh inner from AliExpress for £20.

I have been on Lundy and seen the campsite blow away… :eek:

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Alpkit Tarp star. The 1 gives you a porch the 2 doesn’t. Same tent two different inner options. May depend where the dog will be happy. £180. 1kg. You do need your own trekking pole as well though.

Set up usually inner first peg out corners and lift with pole to tension it. And then put fly over the top. With practice it is possible to add an inner afterwards, probably less fiddly if using the 1 inner. Probably can pitch inner and outer together but I’ve never tried that.

Another option might be the DD Pyramid. £97. And then get a cheap mesh inner from AliExpress for £20.

I have been on Lundy and seen the campsite blow away… :eek:
I have the DD pyramid, took it to k's and put it up in the garden.
Disaster! Didn't want inner first, wants all in one pitch, dog took out the pole in first ten minutes and collapsed the whole thing on top of her, hysteria ensued as she became panicked not able to find the pole and re instate, dog panicked too.
I feared for the tent! Luckily, no damage.
So that's a decided NO.!
A cup of tea later, she wants a porch, no more than two poles and all in one pitch. Possibly a three man to have room for the dog and gear. Realises that she may have to get a heavier tent.
So back to the drawing board.
I'm thinking a decent tunnel tent would suit. With that criteria, any other recommendations?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If she wants fast pitch and low pole count - Vaude Hogan. The pole is a cross, all elastic linked. No pole tube - elastic that wraps round the pole so peg out the outer, pole in the corners, wrap elastic. Done.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Oh dear. If your friend wasn’t so stressed it sounds like a plot for a sitcom episode starring Victor Meldrew.

At least on Lundy you can ask the Warden really nicely to take your heavy kit up the hill in the Land Rover. On my handful visits I’ve always caged a lift. ;)

I had an old model Coleman tent, a bit like the Bedrock 2, I think the inner and outer clipped together so you could put the poles through and pop it up in one go.
I can’t remember the name. Just thinking it might be worth a hunt on the second hand market.

I have happy memories of the force ten, just heavy beast for some ten olds to drag accross Bodmin.

The Instant model is £160, I assume it’s weighty though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE