Teaching the Young Uns...

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Well after a few months of slowly getting my youngest son interested in the subject of bushy, I today showed him how to extract the breast meat from a bird, the said bird was a wild pheasant, one of 4 hung for 10 days.

I thought he was gonna run a mile when i offered him to de-breast one, i was surprised when he said " lets ave a go dad", little bugger is 7 years old, so, being the unresponsible dad, i let him.

He carefully cut the breast flesh, then with my knife he cut out the breast, bloody good job well done too.
Thinking he had done so well, i gave him a spare b&q blue tarp i had in the shed and said " you are alone by yourself, show me how you would survive the night...

Before you think I am a complete Ba?£ar^*, look at the pics.

He with my help for the taller bits, put up the tarp to his requirements. Then made a brick surrounded fire place and lit a fire...
jamesfire1.jpg

then he posed when it was a good fire..
jamesfire2.jpg

he wanted me to take a pic in the dark to show his fire..
jamesfire3.jpg

He then after my help putting a bbq fork in the breast meat stuck it between the bricks...
jamesfire4.jpg

I was ordered, lol, to take a pic of the meat going cooked as he called it...
jamesfire5.jpg

The meat I have to say was cooked to perfection, so again ordered to take a pose pic...
jamesfire6.jpg

Then after all cleared up I took this one of him and the meat before he devoured it by him self, giving me a little slitther from the edge to test for him, lol..
jamesfire7.jpg

LMAO. job well done I recon.

Little Bear Roaster did good.

Don

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
The best bit of all is that he will remember that for years. It's great when you can do 'special' things with the kids. :)

Martin

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Excellent !! The look on his face says it all.

I do things like this with my kids and you can get some funny looks from other parents when they go bragging about it.

This morning my 8 yo dayghter (complete in pink 'fur trimmed' duffel coat !?) battoned some hazel into kindling and had a rough go at shaving off some 'feathers'. Laid a fire and lit it on one match. All under instruction and well observed.
Still boasting about 'her' fire this evening !!

Well done mate. What's he cooking next ?

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Actually, he said bambi, but hey unless someone wants to offer a bit for him to test and practice with, bit, parden the put, deer down here. lol, very well done to your little girl too, let them show the way, eh..

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Shame your too far from the Butchers I work in. We have some game hanging above the counter ( commissioned from a taxidermist so 'inspectors' can't hassle us Re. not refrigerated )
Generates a lot of interest. On Thursday a young lad, around 10 ?, said he wanted to try pheasant. Hadn't seen them in before, Mum didn't look too appaled at idea but wasn't going to do for all familly.
So , with Mums permission, struck a deal with him. I'd skin off a pair of breasts, tell him how to cook them (fried in herbs and butter), he'd cook them, then come back in and tell me what he thought of them.
Mum very supprised, kid keen, hope we see them back.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Oh wow, really.
Maybe the next generation is looking up then to good food, good one mate lets hope he comes back and tells all eh.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
A rod for you own back mate !! Enjoy !

I've had to promise my older three ( 10, 8 and 5 ) a 'hammock camp' sometime soonish, slung below the pergola in the garden.
Reason, we'd built a snow shelter over the last few days. Nothing technical, walls 3 1/2 to 4 feet high 1 foot thick. Roof, staves and larger bamboo with a tarp thrown over with some light conifer side branchs and snow on top for visual effect and insulation.
Older 2 talked me in to saying they could sleep in it, (happy it was well stable enough). Got back from Grandads late and by time I'd got all the bedding and insulation in it with a tarped bit for me to sleep in entrance they'd fallen asleep in the house ?!?!
Speant a few hours in it myself, impressed how cosy it was with decent 'bedding'.

Anyway they were a bit miffed in morning,so did fire, ghillie kettle and hot chocolate and offered hammocks some time. 5 yo son over heard and so he's in too !

As said... mini mears has awoke !! Enjoy !

unresponsible dad
Nothing of the sort!

Great thread and some brill photos too. It's really encouraging to see kids who aren't padded in cotton wool and bubble wrap - could things be getting more sensible?

I certainly hope so - either way, when I'm blessed with nippers of my own I'll be teaching them to cut, shoot, gut, skin, butcher, brew and just about anything else if they want to learn. Can't wait! :D

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well, Thankgod he has gone to school. All I have had all morning is " what are we doing tonight and can we have another cookin fire, can we go and shoot a bird to cook, blah, blah".

I have created a monster, lmao, HELP!!!!!

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
The challenge now is to keep nurturing and broaden the interest. Sounds like you're up for it really !

One I did with my own which was part of getting eldest son (10) realising he could cook some decent food in the kitcen aswell. Slit open a chicken breast, put in cheese, bacon, ham, fruit, whatever, wrap foil, in fire.

And just for fun.... Orange Bombs ! Cut top off orange, scoop out, put in chopped mars bars, raisens, bannana, marshmallows, again...whatever. Top back on, foil, fire.
(Our kids friends and the Cubs love these, They can be so disgustingly fun !!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE