Tasmanian Tiger Range Pack Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amosjl

Mar 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi All,

Thought I’d post a quick review of the Tasmanian Tiger Range bag that I recently bought. Haven’t had a chance to put it through its paces properly yet, but given how difficult it was to get info on this pack online, I thought a quick review of some key elements might help anyone else who is considering it.

First off, a quick front and rear view. As you can see it’s an enormous pack but has a fantastic carry system which handles the load and transfers it comfortably even when fully loaded. Padding is generous which makes it a very snug and comfy carry. My only negative would be that the tension straps on the waist belt should be front-pulling as it is difficult to add tension through a sideways pull when donned. The waist belt itself though is wider than most and durable. The aluminium stays from the frame are set into the waist belt to make a better transfer of load from pack to waist.

Now a quick summary of some features that left me searching for answers when doing research on this pack....
Below you can see exactly where ‘side access’ described in product specs is actually located. This is a zip that runs the full length of the top half of the main compartment and which sits almost hidden between the back plate and removable side pocket. This zip is on one side only though...not sure why?

This is the smaller of the Range packs and so the pocket on the front body of the pack is not removable as with the larger version. However, there is a large zippered access into the main compartment via the back of this pocket. A front loading option is one that I really wanted in a pack and this does the job nicely.

Another question that I struggled to get answers on was the height of the load adjusters. As a 6’ 3” user I wanted to ensure these were located correctly and the photograph below confirms that there are infact two sites on the back plate through which the straps can be fed. I currently have them set on the lower of the two, but further use may see them raised.

Many product specs and user reviews highlight the detachable side pockets on this pack and they really are massive. A few pics below of how they look and some different configurations. They can be zipped together as a stand alone daypack or zipped back-to-back into one single hand carry.

Next for a couple of modifications that I wanted to try out to make the bag a little more multifunctional. Being a cavernous pack, I still wanted the option to take it on trips where it’s full capacity wouldn’t be needed. The zippered attachment method for the side pockets mean that the receiving pair of zips on the body of the pack can actually be zipped together, so reducing the internal volume and keeping the load closer to the body when not fully loaded. You can see from the picture that the bottom compartment remains unaffected (still holding a tent and two sleeping bags in the picture!). With the lid compartment also removed (pictured), the main body volume reduces to more than half in size.

My other concern with the size of this pack was that it would be very rear heavy when fully loaded and have a centre of gravity well outside the body of the wearer. I came up with a solution that redistributes the load of the side pockets to the waist belt, so transferring that weight back to the centre line.
After fiddling with all sorts of option on how to achieve this, the best was the simplest. All I did was cut off the last few inches of webbing from some of the more generous straps on the pack and slid them through the waist belt webbing so that the part that is stitched back on itself hooks under the bottom row of MOLLE. The rest is then threaded through the top row of MOLLE and then directly into the top buckles sited at the top of the side pockets. Gravity alone keeps them in place and the back-stitched webbing prevents slippage. This leaves the side pockets suspended at thigh height and within perfect reach for waterproofs, water bladders or food that might be needed without wanting to remove your pack.

To achieve this, the shoulder straps on the side pockets need to be removed to make room for the additional webbing. I’ve tried to then use these shoulder straps horizontally through the bottom rear of the side pockets to secure them to my thigh, but found this pretty unnecessary and preferred the freedom of movement without. One of the pictures below also shows the waist attachment of the side pockets when their receiving zips have been joined on the main pack to reduce volume for a shorter treck.

A rather lengthy review without any field use to comment on so far, but I though the multi-functionality of this bag is worth highlighting and a few people had already asked for my opinions. Overall, a fantastic and versatile bag with great build quality and tons of modularity for those that like to have gear that serves more than one purpose!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you copy the IMG code straight into the thread that will embed the pictures for us

Looks like a decent pack, I have a few bits of TT gear and they've all stood up well to knocks

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thanks for the heads up Rich. Have right clicked on my images and copied URL....not sure if that's what you meant??

Hi,.............on your pics in your Photobucket library, there is a little white cog in the top right hand corners, when you pass you mouse arrow over it, a drop list will appear, click on 'get links' then there will be 4 links & at the bottom there is the image code,(IMG codes) click on it & it will be automatically copied, then simply paste in your post....then your pictures will appear like this ..

Good review by the way, I only know this brand by name & reputation but had no idea it was in Flecktarn.........I love flecktarn.

Last edited:

Amosjl

Mar 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well that was much easier!! Thanks.

Yea, I was uncertain about the flecktarn colour at first but it was the only colour available at the discounted price so I went for it. Turns out it's probably the best choice as it makes the pack blend in and look smaller than it really is......plus it gave me an excuse to buy a flectarn ECWS jacket (at a steal) and some other flecktarn clothing to match:cool:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi Amos,...........You may have a reason for deleting the photos in which case please ignore this but just in case you are not aware of the fact that if you delete pics in your PB library, they will be also be removed from all the other places you have posted them.

Last edited:

Amosjl

Mar 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks blacktimberwolf, must have been because I tried to organise my PB phots into albums which changed the IMG coding. All sorted now hopefully.

For anybody looking for the actual review now, you may have to scroll down a ways to get past all my forum naivety first lol (I'm new to this)!!

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I love the quality of the TT packs and I couldn't resist getting one :) But after doing my review http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104635 I found that although the pack was very versatile I just couldn't live with the weight of the pack!!!! I've now gone for the Karrimor SF 60-100 half the weight of the TT and just as capable for my needs :)

If I was ever going on a prolonged expedition I would definately consider getting one :)

Amosjl

Mar 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
It's certainly true that they're not lightweight packs and not for those that wanting to keep the kg count to a bare minimum. Considered the G82 myself but unless you really are a sniper with a weapon to boot it's probably hard to justify the extra bulk of the integrated carry system. Personally, I just like bombproof packs for their durability/ruggedness and tend to keep the overall weight at a sensible level by loading with lightweight gear.

Thanks knifefan for your original review by the way.....it was one of the few useful ones around and really helped during my initial search :cool:

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Wow, they must be really heavy :)

Yeh!! Rich the TT sniper pack comes in at just a nadge over 6Kg!!!!!!!!!!! My Karrimor 60-100 without pockets is 2,450g :) The problem with the sniper pack is that it has a built in carry system to take a weapon which adds considerably to the weight :(

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I love your modifications for the side pouches to clip onto the waist belt. That's genius.
An excellent review, thanks for taking the time to post it up. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how it's like in the 'field' so to speak.
The adjustable anchor points for the load lifters strike me as the best thing since sliced bread, as like you, I'm north of six foot.

Amosjl

Mar 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks MertzMan, pleased to hear you found it interesting. I hope to get some proper use out of it in a few weeks time to put it through its paces. Will keep this thread updated with how it performs.

denmyos

Jun 5, 2013
dk
Which model is it that can remove the front pocket?
Which model are you having?
I thought there was only one range pack?

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Which model is it that can remove the front pocket?
I thought there was only one range pack?

The Range Pack G82 with a sheath or carrier for a rifle comes with a detachable front pocket (front as in the side that faces away from your back). See here: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=25067

I am pretty sure there is or at least were another version as well, with a slightly larger volume still, but without weapons carrier. I remember reading about it in a German review.

edit: more photos of the g82 courtesy of bcuk member cappi here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71029

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE