tarp making question

EdS

I'm thinking of making (or haveing sewen for me) a tarp.

I'm wanting 4x3m approx and the material is 1.5 wide.

What would be the best option:

1) 2x 4m length with join on the ridge line. Could be a pain to fit loops etc.

2) 3x 3m length, (making 3x 4 and a bit) with the 2 joins running in line with the sorter length - at 90 degrees to ridge line.
Could be ok but any issues of having the seams running down the slope as it where

3) 2x 4 at full width plus a 0.5m pied isthe mid. 2 seams running in line with ride but not in the centre. Would work ok but require more material and waste a a load.

4x4.5m would be too big I think.

So which to go for?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Eds,
Tarps are so versatile that no matter what configuration you opt for now, there will certainly be a time when you set it up with the seam - in line, across or diagonal to the ridge line.

Even when you've made the descissio about how big you want it - you'll end up wanting both larger and smaller at some point in the future.

Go for ease of manufacture with one seam running up the ridge ( just like the Tatonka 3 x 4) and if it becomes a problem, you'll know for next time!

ATB

Ogri the trog

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Hi mate give me a ring and I will pass the phone to Lin who can tell you more about how she made mine in the real tree poly cotton.

Greg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have the seam along the ridge I would go for a flat felled or lapped seam for strength - or even reinforce the seam with a length of lightweight webbing tape.
If you go for the tape you can incorporate hanging loops in this for extra versitility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE