Tarp and hammock in Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kali187

Jun 25, 2021
London
Hi,

greetings from London.
polish, well seasoned camper and hiker here

i have done some short 2 day hikes around Dartmoor. Mostly northern part.

are there enough suitable places in southern part to camp with hammock? I know there are some small forest areas, but don’t want to end up caught up by night with no trees around to hang my hammock :)

thank you

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Google maps or an OS Map would pinpoint where the trees are, and there are plenty of areas on Dartmoor where you can sling a hammock, both North and South.
Dartmoor being the only area where you can wildcamp in England, anywhere else you would need the Landowners permission or use a campsite.
Obvious these rules are often flouted, but you do that at your own risk.

Reactions: kali187

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
You can’t wild camp ‘any where’ on Dartmoor and areas you can wild camp are not really that great for a hammock - either no trees at all or the trees are not suitable.
You may have to go and have a look at some areas after some research.

kali187

Jun 25, 2021
London
Thanks.
Get all the points :)

guess the best choice would be Scotland then.

will have to be prepared for both hammock and just ground

i usually hike with either a tent or tarp and “ground based sleeping gear” here in UK, but kinda miss my old experience from forest rich Poland.

hebdo9

Jun 28, 2021
Sussex
Thanks.
Get all the points :)

guess the best choice would be Scotland then.

will have to be prepared for both hammock and just ground

i usually hike with either a tent or tarp and “ground based sleeping gear” here in UK, but kinda miss my old experience from forest rich Poland.
Hi, have you tried Thetford forest in East Anglia - a guy on youtube called East Anglia bushcraft does some nice vids on that and using hammocks too.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sometimes a hammock can be set up between two rocks or a rock and a tree, climbers have great gear for hanging something from a rock crack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE