Sydenham Hill Woods. London. Is this your woods?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Dommyracer and I find we both regularly visit our local urban wood - Sydenham Hill Woods. The idea was born to have some sort of meet-up there and explore what sort of activities might be allowed and what not - routinely and perhaps at special event days.

So, I have made contact with the warden and he would be able to meet with us for an initial chat.

2 questions then:-

Stand up (reply) if you visit Sydenham Hill Woods occasionally.

Are you interested in coming to meet the warden as an initial one off?

Reactions: Toddy

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
One of the Urban Youthwork Charities that I worked for, used Sydenham Woods Regularly for "Icebreaking/Teamwork" Sessions.

You should not have any problems arranging meets there with the Wardens Approval.

PS: While you are there, The Horniman Museum is less than 5 Mins walk away and has a lot of Native Artifacts from all over the World, plus the largest collection of Inuit Kayaks/Baidarkas in the UK (although the Kayaks are in storage).
Well Worth A Visit at Any Time.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Slightly off topic but where I'm moving too soon (Barnet), I noticed by using google earth that there is quite a sizable dense wood to the rear of the house, which also has two lakes in it. Can't wait to check it out.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Rich59,

As I may have told you (memory goes at my age) I work less than ten minutes from there
Always interested in a meet up .... but I hope your timings better than Mad Mikes :)

So to answer your questions
Yes and yes

Let me know when you get anything planned

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
2blackcat said:
Rich59,

As I may have told you (memory goes at my age) I work less than ten minutes from there
Always interested in a meet up .... but I hope your timings better than Mad Mikes :)

So to answer your questions
Yes and yes

Let me know when you get anything planned

To quote Data My timing is digital
I think its the (2black)cats fault - bet he wont be able to make Sunday 01/10/2006 either

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Rich59 when are you going to meet the warden, let me know and i'll come along as it would be mucho conveniant having somewhere close bye with permission :)
Any ideas on what the permission may cover?

White Elf

Jun 27, 2006
Surrey
Haven't been there for about 15 years! Definitely interested in taking another look. Let me know when you're thinking of going.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Dear Mr Mad MIke,
You have, indeed, managed to do it again! :banghead:
If I remember correctly, on that date I'm out with NickG

So, what have I done to upset you? :confused:

Anyway, Rich59, reading between the lines I guess you and Dommyracer were up there saturday. Any news?

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
2blackcat said:
Dear Mr Mad MIke,
You have, indeed, managed to do it again! :banghead:
If I remember correctly, on that date I'm out with NickG

So, what have I done to upset you? :confused:
Nothing except not comming to meets
You mean you wont make it with over 5 weeks notice ?
damm I'm good :p

Why don't you & NickG come & rearrage the other thing ? :thinkerg:
It would be nice to see you

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
2blackcat said:
Anyway, Rich59, reading between the lines I guess you and Dommyracer were up there saturday. Any news?
Yep, Dommyracer and I had a very good time around the lesser frequented parts of the wood and practiced some bushcraft.

Also, today I joined a scheduled volunteer session for people who wish to support/ maintain the woods. I didn't get a lot of work done as the warden took me on a walk round the wood and we talked urban woodland maintenance and bushcraft. I left him trying out the hand drill!

He would be interested in meeting with/ walking round the wood with a group of us on a Saturday or Sunday.

I now feel much more in tune with what urban woodland/ nature reserve is all about. More in this later.

I am investigating whether any of 4 landowners backing onto the site are interested in supporting an over night event. I will get back to you when I know more.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi i'd definately be interested in joining this. i live in Catford.
I went to the woods the other day for a walk actually. is it the one with the big tunnel that is extremly cold and looks like vampires sleep behind the big iron gate?
The wood had loads of people which suprised me.
Anyway, i'm on leave next week so i'll keep an eye on this thread. I had no idea there were others :D in my area.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I had a positive chat with a local land owner. Nothing certain yet but I am hopeful of a pretty good venue for an overnighter. Insurance issues might be the biggest hurdle.I'm going to try another land owner at the w/e.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE