swedish wool cargo trousers

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
hi i,ve been looking for a pair of heavy wool cargo trousers either swedish ,filson , ll bean or woolrich .i had a pair of the swedish ones but seem to have lost them ,the size i need is 36x32 ,there are some on ebay but they are too small.any help appreciated .

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
The swedish army wool pants are made to be worn with suspenders, just with a normal belt they hang too low and are quite uncomfortable when skiing, running.. Nevertheless I like them very much and exclusively wear the swedish wool pants, they don't get dirty or smelly and I almost never have to wash them. They're also quite strong and durable. Good pockets. As with wool that has fat in it these pants are quite good in drizzle, snow, rain to some extent. I have no problem at all with itching, though I remember I had some years ago when I started wearing this kind of pants, but that was over after some weeks. I think it's definately worth it. I would like such pants that are made to be worn without suspenders though, as suspenders aren't very in at the moment and make it a bit more complicated to go to the toilet. Though it's really warm and comfortable to have the pants covering the lower back. Some people have modified the swedish pants to be good with a normal belt.. my sewing skills are too bad to do the job. :) Those filsons look really good, also the east german army wool pants, but I haven't used them. Another positive point with wearing suspenders is ofcourse that you don't need a long sweater or underwear to keep the lower back warm (that's why the jacket that goes with these swedish trousers is short). While with the normal belt trousers you need a longer sweater and underwear to protect the back. At least in the cold weather here in sweden.
The swedish army pants are quite thick and I almost never need to wear a merino longjohns under it, that gets too warm with movement, I'd say you only need longjohns when it's colder then -15C to -20C, keep in mind the windchill ofcourse, and how much movement you plan to do. These pants block the wind quite well.
Tinner woolen pants would be nice for warmer weather, though I'm not sure how strong those would be.
All this said it is difficult to get hold of these pants, even in sweden. That's why I have collected a lifetime supply :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Gill, there is a stall at Ayr market on a sunday doing army surplus and stuff and really good prices it's worth your while having a look see, he has loads of work trousers and the padded arctic type with the zip up legs, last week he had a genuine Swandri which he called a lumberjack shirt for £15. I would have had it but it was way to small for my little 50" waist.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
thanks guys for the replies, Loyd over on sotp has showed me some new wool hunting pants from canada ,think i might get these

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
HI Gill,

Do you have a link to the ones the guys showed you on SOTP? I to am looking for a pair of decent woollen trousers.

Chris

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
sorry mate, just noticed you were looking for a link to these trousers. if you go to sotp and type in wool cargo/ hunting pants wanted, lloyd has posted a pic mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE