Swedish volcano stove mods

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Has anyone cut the bottom out of one?

I think it would be much better without the bottom ( I.e. You could lift the body of the stove on/off the heat source rather than waiting for it to go out cool down)

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
dont you mean the swiss volcano stove?

Aye that be the one
VOLCANO-KETTLE.jpg

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
they cool down pretty quick just pu a stick through the top holes and turn in upside down so its empty
its is cool enough to handle in a minute

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
they cool down pretty quick just pu a stick through the top holes and turn in upside down so its empty
its is cool enough to handle in a minute

I was thinking more along the lines of using one with a meths burner, then it can be taken off the heat straight away, plus fiddling about trying to get a burner in/out and waiting for it to cool etc.

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
i think that if you put the stove over the burner that the distance of the burner to the pot will be to big

but you could try, i think it will be more efficient to put the burner in the stove and improvise some kind of suspension

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
cutting a hole in the bottom (thus maintaining structural integrity) would allow you to fit & light your (coke can) meths burner more easily without having to "drop" it in.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
i think that if you put the stove over the burner that the distance of the burner to the pot will be to big

but you could try, i think it will be more efficient to put the burner in the stove and improvise some kind of suspension

I've fiddled about with the meths burner and once its upto temp it heats the water fine, its just getting it in and when its hot out that was the problem, hence the chopping the bottom out.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I was thinking more along the lines of using one with a meths burner, then it can be taken off the heat straight away, plus fiddling about trying to get a burner in/out and waiting for it to cool etc.

Have a look at post #1 of this thread.
It's a different way of looking at the same issue ~ and leaves the cooker intact.

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
in that case i would tri to open the bottom and make a new detachable bottom from a old tin-can
so if you dont use the meth burner you still have a bottom for your wood stove
so your fire is not on the ground and sucks in water vapour from the sand

but i also like the option with the thee thingy

Last edited:

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
just put a wire mesh or something with a handle that you can put half way down to put the spirit burner on and lift it out when its done. I think if you cut the bottom out it would be no good as woodburner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE