Swedish army trangia

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

I bought a swedish army trangia set before xmas and aint really had much of a chance to play with it.
Bought some meths today and lit it, stuck the windshield on and the big billy can inside it, and suddenly all the paint on the outside has started bubbling up and falling off and has left a god awful smell in my kitchen!!!

Has anyone else had this problem? what do you guys think I am gonna need to do now?

Its the aluminium version!!

Ta muchly
Steve

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Strip all the paint off it. Was it the original paint that was on or had it been repainted.
I used my ali one yesterday and no problems. My stainless on had already been stripped and i prefer it that way.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not had such a prob - but the paint has almost gone from mine in slow stages...
Stripping is probably a good idea - my stainless one came to me stripped...

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Strip all the paint off it. Was it the original paint that was on or had it been repainted.
I used my ali one yesterday and no problems. My stainless on had already been stripped and i prefer it that way.

I think its the original paint, but cant be sure tbh!! its green if that helps lol!! it appears to be a bit rusty underneath too in the places I have scrapped off! but Im hoping thats just surface cause I didnt think ally could rust, corro yes but not rust!!
I think a wire brush to it and get rid of all the paint!! kinda looks better in silver anyway!!

Cheers

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the heads up mate. ive got one ive not burned yet. ill be sure not to do it in the kitchen. Wasnt from military mart was it?

Paul

I just tried cooking in the fry pan too over the trangia and had exactly the same thing happen!!
Im starting to think that its been re-painted but not with heat proof paint!!
got it off the bay from a seller called militery kit 13, they were spot on tbh!!!
It was advertised as non issued/supergrade and clearly wasnt, I was happy with the condition though, but now I think they may be just re painting the old mess kits and selling them off as super grade!!
I have contacted the seller to see what he thnks although Im not holding my breath cause it was november last year I bought it, just hadnt got round to using it!!
Defo light it outside for the first time fella just to be on the safe side!!
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE