Swedish army trangia

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I just picked one of these up at Golding Surplus in Canterbury and i am very impressed with it. I just want to know a couple of things though:
1. It doesnt have any wick in it. Is this important and if so can i buy a replacement anywhere?
2. Is there a PLCE or MOLLE pouch that fits it well?
3. Does the simmer ring from the civi model fit the military one?

Thanks in advance.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Wick? The spirit burner does not have a wick, unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning. Pour fuel in centre, ignite it, as the centre burn warms up the sides the fuel will vaporise and begin to burn via the ring of holes.

The Swedish army burner is bigger than my civvy (trangia mini) but the simmer ring itself does indeed still fit, never have used it though :)

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I have read in other threads that there is some sort of wadding inside the burner, is this true? Should i be able to see anything inside when i open it? All it looks like is a small well type thing.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
No...as Saffy says it's just a container for the meths which vapourises through the main opening and the holes around the rim and burns. Take it outside, give it a try and make yourself a brew.... :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
There is a well in the centre and you should see two small holes at the bottom of the well that allow the fuel to seep into the wadding (which is permenantly encapsulated between the sealed walls of the burner). A quick tip learnt from a bad experience - make sure the rubber gasket in the lid of the burner does not come loose and stick to the top of the burner before you light it. I had to get a new 'O' ring made for mine after I cooked the existing one during a power cut :eek:

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
British Red said:
And no, the civi simmer ring doesn't fit :(

Did the Swedish army burner come with a simmer ring then? As I may have took it off at some forgotten point in the past and carried it with my Triangia mini ever since (hence it fitting when I tried the simmer ring on army stove earlier :eek: )

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting - I tried mine from a 25 model on a Swedish Army and it didn't!

No, the Swedish Army never had a simmer ring. The civilian ones I've tried are loose and don't thread on properly , but I confess to never having tried a "mini".

Anyone else tried this?

Red

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
British Red said:
No, the Swedish Army never had a simmer ring. The civilian ones I've tried are loose and don't thread on properly.

Just double checked. The simmer ring I got does not screw onto to the mini's burner, its sits on top loose (I have only ever used it to extinguish the flame). When tried on the Swedish army stove, it is a snug push fit.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Silverback said:
There is a well in the centre and you should see two small holes at the bottom of the well that allow the fuel to seep into the wadding (which is permenantly encapsulated between the sealed walls of the burner). A quick tip learnt from a bad experience - make sure the rubber gasket in the lid of the burner does not come loose and stick to the top of the burner before you light it. I had to get a new 'O' ring made for mine after I cooked the existing one during a power cut :eek:

Thats what confused me, i assumed the wadding was in the central well portion. I am glad its all complete, cant wait to use it now! Any other ideas on options for carrying it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Strange - my civvi simmer ring fits as if it was made for the job! It was bought as a "replacement part" not as part of the stove.... are all Trangias equal?
John

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
John Fenna said:
Strange - my civvi simmer ring fits as if it was made for the job! It was bought as a "replacement part" not as part of the stove.... are all Trangias equal?
John

no, they are not all the same. The Trangia family is huge: there are Trangia pots, Trangia pans, Trangia cups, Trangia tins, Trangia burners - not to forget the old Trangia reflector oven. :D

As for the burners: the standard Trangias (T25, T27) and Mini (T28) have an identical burner. The military burner is bigger & heavier and takes longer to preheat (more mass). All Trangias do have a wick, they work without the wick. If the wick is removed (tricky job, not recommended) they consume a lot more fuel without any advantage.

No, the civi Trangia simmer ring doesn´t fit the military version (it´s a Trangia if its stamped on the bottom, there are others ...) - :cool: try the simmer ring from Tatonka (Trangia stainless steel clone), you´ll get it separately, no need to buy the burner

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
My 2 cents the first is a jiff heet then a trangia some military the last one was not burning to good so it took it a part then put it back in a cat food can small seal it with jb weld it still burns ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE