Swedisch education nature guide

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm trying to find some sort of education where you will be trained to be a wilderness guide. Now I heard of people that went off to sweden to have that sort of education over there. I believe it was a one year school that teaches you about guiding people in nature and being able to replace your kit with things from nature. The problem is that I don't know how to find information about it. I tried google, but I only get holiday offers, lol :)
So if anyone has some information about it, please contact me. Actually any info regarding outdooreducation would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Thanks mastino,

I already know they guy and the course. It's one on my to do list, because it contains everything I want to learn. The only problem is though, that it's nog recognised by the ib-group. I've have 5 years of study already, but nothing finished. So if I want to quit what I'm doing now and dedicate myself fulltime to becoming a wilderness guide, I'll have to pay back what I got from the ib-group. That is my problem in a nutshell. if you have any suggestions.. everything is welcome. thanks for the info anyway.

Cheers

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
There is a program for nature tourism at Älvdalen. It's 80 weeks long and is aimed at people who are willing to work with (nature) tourism or setting up they're own business. One third of the time is spent on what they call 'learning in work' that is you spend time as an intern at guiding-, tourism- and other wilderness related companies. I have no idea wether they accept international applications.

There is a brief welcome page in english: www.alvdalen.com

check out this and press 'bildgalleri' to see some photos from the school.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Yea I've also heard from that school big_swede, it sounds like the most official nature guide program here in sweden. A friend here has been there. It's more aimed at modern outdoor life, and there's nothing about making things yourself, etc. It's much stricter and more serious then sjovik (where it depends more on yourself what you make out of the year - which imo is a good thing)

I'm on sjovik first year, it's great to learn about canoeing, organising trips, handwork (make skis, textile, canoe, sleeping bag, tipi, filt... ), ... There's also a second year where you do your own projects and guide the ones of the first year in trips. I live here outside in a tipi. There are many possiblities on the school. Conserning leadership we've had to do only two days with kids from the school in the forest, and we organise the trips quite much ourselves (food, getting there, gear, ..) ... But when you do the second year, you have to lead the first year quite much if you want you can get quite much experience there.. And you can apply to a outdoor tourist company for practical sessions, many have done it before..

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I'm trying to find some sort of education where you will be trained to be a wilderness guide. Now I heard of people that went off to sweden to have that sort of education over there. I believe it was a one year school that teaches you about guiding people in nature and being able to replace your kit with things from nature. The problem is that I don't know how to find information about it. I tried google, but I only get holiday offers, lol :)
So if anyone has some information about it, please contact me. Actually any info regarding outdooreducation would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi mate,
I would take another approach, dont go to a school where you will have to pay a lot and dont know what you get out of it. In the end even after the school you are in the same position that you will have to start up your own company or find someone to hire you.

I would contact some of the dog mushers who need a dog handler for each autum and winter season. I know for a fact they they hire a guy for food and a bed and you get exprience in dog mushing and working with turist, second you have a fot in the door to that companie.You can use them aswell as reference if you want to work for another company as they like to ask you if you have exprience.

That would be for the winter time and you got to live in the wilderness, learn something and dont have to pay for it. Then I would do some courses here which are run from Jägerförbundet, they cost near to nothing and you can learn trapping, hunting etc etc

Then in summer I would work for a river rafting company, there you get information where you can get the papers to handle turist, I did this for a summer in finland, little money for food and a sleeping place, the company payed for the river rafting liccense and I got a fot in the door of tourist handling too.

After my time spend with sleadge dog companies and river rafting companies and hunting I figured out that I hate to work with tourist. ;-) Good that I didnt spend all that money on a 2 years school to figure out.

the swedish survial association is holding extremly tuff educations which hardly cost nothing if you compare to the english bushcraft schools.

all the best to you
Abbe

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
As far as I know the alvdalen course is free and the course i go on is free as well. Here you just pay for the materials used. You need to have money to buy food and a place to live ofcourse. But that's not to say that doing a school (definately a hogskola) is the best approach, I think you can waste a lot of time with other people who just want to have a nice time instead of really learning. I can imagine it's much more serious if you do what Abbe advices, to work for food and bed and get real experience. I don't have a problem keeping myself busy learning things so I don't waste my time here, but some people who were serious about being a wilderness guide when they arrived here at the course are quite disappointed about the quality of it and where it's going to get them. Well, that's all I had to say..

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Thanks everyone for the advices. There has definately been given a lot of usable information. Maybe I have to explain my situation more clearly wich might help to get in the right direction and explain why I am looking for these swedish courses. Here it goes.

I'm 23 years old and I'm (was) the type of guy that doesn't know what to do with his life. After highschool I went to artschool. It didn't feel quite right being there, so I switched a lot internally. in the 3rd year I quit because the options kinda ran out. I decided that I'd take a year off to discover what I wanted. I worked in a shop that trades archaeological finds and I figured that I wanted to be a History teacher. So I applied that year and the year after, school started. In the first three days the same feeling I had at artschool dawned on me and I ran screaming from that school. I still had some time left to apply to others schools and I didn't want another year of employment. So I applied to study Archaeology at the university of Amsterdam. And that's where I am right now. it's quite ok and I'm managing. But I now realise that being an archaeologist isn't what I want to be. I realise that I have to follow my heart because not a single dicision I made with my heart has failed me. I love to hike, sleep and eat outdoors, I love practicing primitive techniques, I love to organise stuff for people who keep asking me what it is exactly that I do when I go out for a weekend. And I love to show people how to do things with nature and enjoy being in nature. And how to seek out their boundries and cross them. So I decided that there is where my future is.

When I realised all of this I started to do some bushcraftcourses, to actively seek people who two like bushcraft and organise meetings with them or just general bushcraft weekends, I started to give workshops and to actively develop my skills. All this to discover if this bushcraft thing ( it's actually more than that, but that's how I'll call it from now on) is something that I want to keep doing for a hobby, or something that I want to make my living of.
Along the way I found some courses ( inlcluding the one from taku adventures) that cost way to much money, but almost completely contain what I would like to do. So I started to wonder if this was acheevable and I realised that I'm not willing to pay for the study I'm doing right now myself (my parents are right now). And I would be willing to work as long as needed to get the money together for a wilderness guide course or something similar.

So now I'm talking with a lot of people. People at school: studycounselors etc. And people who give these courses or have done courses to find out more about them. And I'm looking for more courses, or options that might get me where I want. And maybe, just maybe in 5 or 10 years time or so I might be employed as a wilderness guide.
The only problem is though, that I don't have any arms or legs so I'm typing this with my tongue. (no just kidding) I have a problem though, and that is that I have loaned a lot from the government to do my past and current study. I don't know if you know what I mean, but basicly I have to pay back my colegefunds that I loaned in the past 5 years if I don't finish any study that is recognised by the government. and no, a typing course wont do ;) . If I do finish a recognised study I don't have to pay anything.
I haven't decided what to do yet, and so far I'm just continuing my study, as if all described above never happened. I'm looking into my options right now and that's basicly why I was looking for the swedish courses. BUT, of course any information about courses, experiences with courses or career switches and/or general suggestions (thanks Abbe) are most welcome. Once again, thanks for all the information already given. I appreceate it.

Cheers!

Goof,

I know what you mean. I do not believe that you missed this information on the Taku site

Meer informatie over de studie ecotoeristisch reisleider:
Cees Visser, docent Hogeschool Utrecht, telefoon: 06-45406203 of

Archimedes Lerarenopleiding
t.a.v. Cees Visser
Hogeschool Utrecht
Archimedeslaan 16
Postbus 14007
3508 SB Utrecht

Which MIGHT be the escape from your study debt you have build up. BUT it is not exactly what you want in the end... although this "means" could justify your "end". And if you did miss it..hope it helps... if you didn't miss it but it was no good... s-orry to waiste your time.

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE