Suvival situation knife sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 28, 2006
Midwest USA
I find two pieces of sandstone that are as flat as possible. Then I rub them together till I get a flat surface for honing. It doesn't take long and the stone gives a very serviceable edge. They work best if you keep them wet and sharpen with an edge trailing stroke.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I have found rubbed two pieces of sandstone together to make a kind of powder add saliva and it becomes a kind of paste you can then apply it to a stick your leg whatever. It seems to work better than using the just using stone.

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
The belt that holds up my pants and my rifle sling have two sections. One is charged with chromium dioxide paste and the other is raw leather. The charged section is covered with a section of duct tape to keep it protected and dry. Most of my knives are convex ground and this "strop" will resharpen any of them, even the ones made of very hard steels like VG-10. For flat ground knives and serious repairs in the field I carry a Schrade Walden Honesteel. It rides in a belt sheath and is impregnated with diamond or carbide dust in grooves. It will cut a mean meat or wood cutting edge on a flat ground knife in a few strokes. Plus the end is wedge shaped and can be used as a splitter in a pinch. It will also throw a mean spark when struck on a flint stone or firesteel. Add to all that it is unbreakable and I would take my belt and Honesteel over any stone maufactured or found.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Split a stick to get a reasonably flat surface and rub earth into the flatter side and get sharpening. If you run out of "bite" just rub in the earth again. I sharpen my sickle like that, as have thousands of farm laborers in the past. Although they did tend to be a little more sophisticated and carried two horns, one with sand in and another with fat. They rubbed the stick with fat before sprinkling with sand.
Surely you`ve seen "Ray" do similar!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE