Survival courses - help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So as you guys know I am the first bushcrafter in my country and one of few in survival , so in 2016 I am planing to make survival courses ( I have already been requested to do this ) I want to make 2 day(weekend) survival courses in spring and 5 day in summer , I have a big house on a ski resort (Bakuriani) which is covered with big forests , were I shoot all of my videos , I also have a place were the courses will be , so place for night and place for studying is ready now only thing what I am thinking about are the topics , can you help me with the topics which I have to teach on a 2 day course ? I mean how much will be enough for firecraft and so on , I will start with talking about the rule of 3s and then cover firecraft , primitive shelter , water treatment , little bushcraft and so on , so if some of you have experience with this can you tell me what should I teach ? I mean I know much from starting fire with ferro rod till handrill and bowdrill but I want to know how much will be enough for 2 day course and what should I teach on a 2 day course , can you help me?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Have a look at some of the UK Bushcraft school websites to see what they are offering on weekends / week courses etc. Most of the good schools have a breakdown of the topics covered.

It's up to you however to work out the lesson plan, Key Learning Points, how long each lesson takes and how deep you go into the skills. Remember you can't cover everything in a weekend or even a week.

You could run some tester course for free then get your students to rate the experience, you will also see what works and doesn't. Don't forget you may also need to provide so sort of food and accommodation (this could be part of a lesson) and may need several helpers so the lessons flow and the students aren't waiting around while you prepare the next lesson.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
For a 2 day course I'd keep things simple: Cover available tinders in the area, learn them one or two failsafe ways of lighting those and so on. Clients who are new to bushcraft and want a taster might feel frustrated when they fail at most of the practical stuff because they lack some basic experience, so keep space for adapting the course throughout the days/week.

If I were you I'd take at least a one week course somewhere else before starting your own courses. This will give you a much better understanding in which topics to cover, how to present them, how instructors (who are in the business for quite some time) deal with clients and so on.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I would do that with pleasure , but where? There are no courses in my country , I'm the first one who will do it , only knowledge I can get about being an instructor is on the internet and in the books.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have taught members of the British army both my own lads and others.

With lessons it is best to have 40 minute quick lessons or 2 hour blocks.

For example a fire lighting demonstration showing two or three easy techniques will easily take up 40 minutes with a explanation, then demonstration, then get the student to imitate you then let them practice. I would show ferro rod and flint and steel which are easy to get the hang of and very effective. I would not show bow drill except to an advanced group as there are better and more effective ways of lighting a fire in a survival situation (it is one of the main differences between bushcraft and survival).

For Water show them collecting methods; Tarps as a rain catch, transpiration bags, dew rags, rivers and streams (where best to collect from) Indian/gypsy well. Then go through easy water purification methods boiling, tablets, bought filters then the improvised filters of the bottle filter and tripod layered filter. I would also go through different water containers and their uses metal and plastic and glass, bags and bladders.

Shelters: both natural and man made. I would start with man made; tarps (in various set ups such as lean to, a frame, flying Vee; tents, and if confident even a Mors super shelter. Natural with improvised man made parts of plastic sheets or bin bags. Finally full natural ones A frame, lean to and others.
Also do not forget about other shelter stuff clothing and improvising waterproof clothing from bin bags, or the use of survival bags and blankets. DO NOT FORGET building shelters takes a long time so you may want to keep some of the natural stuff for the 5 day course.

Basic navigation: map and compass, improvised techniques and natural indicators can be taught. watch method, sun and stick method, and stars etc.

Location: signalling devices United Nations blue and blaze orange being the best to been seen, shiny objects, signals fires, whistles,flares (if you can get them, do let them handle them demo only), smoke (black and white and uses and when and where) international distress signals and signs (ground to air) signal mirrors.

Food: all dependant on laws and permissions but you can demo snares, pits and dead-falls as long as you dismantle if you do not have permission to trap, easy to catch stuff and even better plant id what you have in your local area. Leave fungi out unless you are 100% confident and a mycologist :)

I would also simple survival kit from pocket to small packs or even vehicle stuff on the five day. Tell people what works for you in your environment but in different environments different equipment is needed.

later on you can do animals in your area and even tracking

hope that sorts you out for a bit.

Another help you need just ask.
Military manuals are a good place to start but do not rely on them other books by Lofty Wiseman, Mors Kochanski, Barry Davies, Joe O'Leary, Cody Lundin, Mike Hawke, Paul Kirtley and even Dave Canterbury to name a few but there is loads of information out there just make sure you fully understand what you are trying to teach and do not be afraid to ask or seek better advice.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I have taught members of the British army both my own lads and others.

With lessons it is best to have 40 minute quick lessons or 2 hour blocks.

For example a fire lighting demonstration showing two or three easy techniques will easily take up 40 minutes with a explanation, then demonstration, then get the student to imitate you then let them practice. I would show ferro rod and flint and steel which are easy to get the hang of and very effective. I would not show bow drill except to an advanced group as there are better and more effective ways of lighting a fire in a survival situation (it is one of the main differences between bushcraft and survival).

For Water show them collecting methods; Tarps as a rain catch, transpiration bags, dew rags, rivers and streams (where best to collect from) Indian/gypsy well. Then go through easy water purification methods boiling, tablets, bought filters then the improvised filters of the bottle filter and tripod layered filter. I would also go through different water containers and their uses metal and plastic and glass, bags and bladders.

Shelters: both natural and man made. I would start with man made; tarps (in various set ups such as lean to, a frame, flying Vee; tents, and if confident even a Mors super shelter. Natural with improvised man made parts of plastic sheets or bin bags. Finally full natural ones A frame, lean to and others.
Also do not forget about other shelter stuff clothing and improvising waterproof clothing from bin bags, or the use of survival bags and blankets. DO NOT FORGET building shelters takes a long time so you may want to keep some of the natural stuff for the 5 day course.

Basic navigation: map and compass, improvised techniques and natural indicators can be taught. watch method, sun and stick method, and stars etc.

Location: signalling devices United Nations blue and blaze orange being the best to been seen, shiny objects, signals fires, whistles,flares (if you can get them, do let them handle them demo only), smoke (black and white and uses and when and where) international distress signals and signs (ground to air) signal mirrors.

Food: all dependant on laws and permissions but you can demo snares, pits and dead-falls as long as you dismantle if you do not have permission to trap, easy to catch stuff and even better plant id what you have in your local area. Leave fungi out unless you are 100% confident and a mycologist :)

I would also simple survival kit from pocket to small packs or even vehicle stuff on the five day. Tell people what works for you in your environment but in different environments different equipment is needed.

later on you can do animals in your area and even tracking

hope that sorts you out for a bit.

Another help you need just ask.
Military manuals are a good place to start but do not rely on them other books by Lofty Wiseman, Mors Kochanski, Barry Davies, Joe O'Leary, Cody Lundin, Mike Hawke, Paul Kirtley and even Dave Canterbury to name a few but there is loads of information out there just make sure you fully understand what you are trying to teach and do not be afraid to ask or seek better advice.

Thank you very much for taking your time to type this for me ! It is the best explanation that I could get.
Yes I think I will leave natural shelters and stuff like that for the 5 day course.
I think maybe it will be good if I will give some gifts on the first 2-3 course , something like ferro rods to all of the student or something like that.
Student will be on place , saturday 11am and will leave sunday 4pm , I think that will be enough time to cover all of the basics , I will also have an assistant with me who will help students if they will have long difficulties and I won't have so much time to wait for them.
Till spring I have plenty of time to train myself in teaching others , I have a few books also on the way hope they will help me also.

What do you guys think about the Mors Kochanski instructor training book has anyone read it? is it worth buying?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The instructor book is available on Amazon I have it on my kindle it gives the topics you need to cover if you live in the boreal forest, but you still need to know the information and it is not in that book but is in bushcraft and also in basic safe travel and boreal survival handbook or other sources.

just make sure you keep a first-aid-kit handy and keep a good eye on your students when they use [edged] tools-- city people have often little to zero experience with tools and their safe use.... [recently i watched two guys trying to split some kindling one held the timber on a stone while the other hit it with a nata:yikes:.... darwin award alert...]

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I think maybe it will be good if I will give some gifts on the first 2-3 course , something like ferro rods to all of the student or something like that.

just make sure you keep a first-aid-kit handy

Given than you have mentioned in other threads that you are having to order in all your bushcraft items from abroad, giving the students a ferro rod and a half decent knife is a good idea. A Mora Clipper knife and a basic ferro road would be my thinking. You could also demonstrate good practice by giving them a basic First Aid Kit to go with the knife.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE