Survival Bags

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Our scout group is taking about 15-20 scout into our local woods for a night in a couple of weeks.

We have already been to the spot to see where/how we can put up tarps and gathered some wood for shelters and a fire.

The plan is to give each scout a survival bag to sleep in and I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can get these cheaper than £1.99 + Delivery.

We have a local outdoors shop that is very scout friendly (10% discount on everything except books) but I have not yet checked if they can do them cheaper than buying them online. I will probably end up going to but I was wondering if anyone had seen these at a lower price.

Cheers

Richard

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Just to keep them dry and they are cheap. An alternative to them sleeping directly on the ground.

I cannot remember if they are meant to bring sleeping bags and if they do we don't want then to ruin them or we won't be popular.

Most are at the bottom end of the scout age range and they have not done anything like this before so we don't want to put them off first time out.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Would I be better sourcing a number of plastic tarps so they can have a roof and a floor and sleep in their clothes on that with maybe a blanket for warmth?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think so. Far better. I slept in a survival bag once in the scouts and as Nick has already said, the condensation is terrible. Builders tarps would be a better bet - then they can learn putting them up too.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Do scouts still all have a wool blanket/poncho?

I'd rather build some decent bedding of leaves and ferns and kip with the blanket then use a survival bag.

Tthey needn't suffer if you have a woodland at your resource.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
The condensation from sleeping in a survival bag is horrendous, they will get soaked. Also sleeping directly on the ground without inuslation will be cold.

Enjoy your trip.

Nick

I have to agree spent the coldest (and longest ) night of my life on pen y fan, acting as a casualty in a mountain rescue ex. Was told to stay in bag until found by rescue team. by morning i was soaked through with condensation.Never been so glad to be found and carried off the hill.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Make a large group size Bed of nails and place it on some hot coals. Then if they survive they can tell there parents that they have bolded with each other, learnt how to barbecue meat and they all will be so Holy too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE