Sunburn

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Im just wondering if there are any plants or other things available in the UK/German bush that can be used to sooth sunburn. I know about aloe vera is there anything else?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Potato, cucumber, marigold are mentioned in my folk remedies book.

Lavender sunburn oil........
90ml olive oil
45ml cider vinegar
2.5ml iodine
10 drops of lavender oil Blend together, bottle and apply

A compress of sorrel has cooling effects
Sorrel tea is taken for sunstroke and St Johns wort oil is good for burns once they have cooled.
Hope this helps.........

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Hi jon,
thanks for the advice. I was out canoeing today and despite the sun cream im just a little bit lobster coloured :eek:

Your book sounds very interesting, I always have an uneasy feeling when using todays lotions and potions wether they actually are good for you or not. I know that they cant sell you something thats bad for you but if they work or not is a different matter. I would rather use Folk folklore than advertising folklore, at least I know whats in it.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Fenlander said:
An infusion of Elder flowers should help........bit late in the year now I'm afraid :eek:

I always thought that I should have started buscraft earlier in the year....Im obviously not quite in tune with nature :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have chamomile teabags make up a double strength cup, then cool it down with tap water. Soak a tea towel or flannel in the mix and lay it over your sunburnt bits. It helps soothe the skin.
The old receipt books advise using buttermilk. I was very badly scalded as a child and the doctor advised soaking teatowels in milk and laying it over the blisters. I healed with barely a mark, though the blisters rose up like bubbles in seconds when I was burned over an area the size of a saucer on both legs.
It certainly wouldn't be recommended nowadays though. :eek:
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE