Summer Wind tent, monocular

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi,

Tent
Does anyone know the Robens Summer Wind tent ?
http://www.eventessentials.co.uk/summer wind.htm

Or if anyone has a remarck about this tent's design, I'd be glad to hear :)

Also if there's another tent which is in the same price range and really good or better I'm all ears.

monocular
I've been wanting to have a monocular for some time. I was always looking for an old style bronze one until I saw a monocular at a shop nearby for only 10 euro, the Geler Scenic Monocular 8x21:
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=59212001&desc=SCENIC+MONOCULAR+8+X+21

Anyone knowledgeable about bi or monoculars being able to make some remarcks on this one?
I think it's probably going to last long because there's 10 year warranty, it's nice because it's small and only 60gr. But maybe I wont be able to see that much with it? 21mm isn't that much.

greetz,
gunnar

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Gunnar, these 8x21 roof prism monoculars are mostly produced in the far east, and sold under various brands.

I have done a head-to-head comparison of a similar one with an 8x30 Russian (Helios) porroprism monocular of Zeiss design. The Russian optics are far, far superior and the image is of course much brighter due to the bigger objective lens. It makes the difference between seeing deer on the hillside or missing them.

The Russian monoculars are of metal construction and a good bit heavier. Despite this I personally would go for the 8x30. They used to be available new for £15, but now go for around that price used on ebay.

My father has a 8x20 Zeiss roof prism monocular but these are very hard to find. New Zeiss monoculars are very good but expensive!

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I just found a 8x21 binocular here, which my dad once got as a gift from maybe from a chinese business client. I compared it too a 7x50 binocular and the 7x50 was ofcourse much brighter and clearer. On cloudy days I guess a 21mm just isn't bright enough, or could it be that better lenses would make it more clear (keeping 21mm)?

You got me interested in those 8x30 porroprism monoculars, if I could get one for 15£ it would be a pretty good deal. I'm not willing to spend more on a binocular though. Too bad I can't find such a 8x30 monocular for sale here, the only cheap monoculars I find are those 8x21.

M

Mooney

looks like an excellent tent, i think it'll be my next purchase.

this pretty much sums it up:
Poles: None. Make use of walking poles, Telescopic poles (Optional Extra), cut wooden poles.

i rekon that shows its quality, built by hikers for hikers type of thing.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
West German Zeiss were very good. East German Zeiss ('Carl Zeiss Jena') were also very good. I don't recognise one of the Russian designs but the others are copies of Zeiss designs and excellent.

I don't know much about the last one, but I do have a Russian 2 draw 20x50 (Turist-3) telescope. It is quite heavy, has a very cheap (white plastic!!) but waterproof case, but optically it is absolutely superb. For example, you can just make out the rings of saturn with it, which is pretty good for a 50mm telescope. However, a 20x telescope really can only be used either sitting, braced on your knees, or with a stick if standing.

If the condition is good, you probably would not be disappointed with any of those monoculars. Be aware that monoculars come up regularly on ebay and you'll get a better deal by taking your time. If the condition is good, you cannot really go wrong with post war Zeiss (west or East), post war Leitz (Leica), Hensoldt, Swarovski or Russian optics.

Earlier optics are often non coated.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Well I did bid 40€ for that first zeiss monocular 8x30B, but soon the heighest bid was 76€ :s . You're right, I'll take my time and with patience I'll get me a good deal :)

Thanks for your information doc, I really appreciate it :thanks:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
A lot of Russian equipment is VERY very good. But, a great deal of the things they make are cheap and break far too easily. I think sometimes it's a 50/50 chance.

Just my $0.02 cents,

Adam

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Well I didn't find any cheap good monocular so I bought that Gelert Scenic 21x8 some days ago. I'm very pleased with it and it does all I wanted at only 60gr for just 8,9€ with 10 year warranty :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE