Stuff I didn't buy at the Outdoors Show...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
... even though I was sorely tempted - due to my conscience constantly asking if I really, really needed it:

An olive green Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt
A Barmah kangaroo hat
A Gransfors SFA
A Paramo smocky thing (£85 off but still £155)

This happen to anyone else?

(Actually - I have since decided to get the hat - no, I don't really, really need it but what the hell...)

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I was very much tempted by one of the Hats also - was thinking the Crocodile but gave in to my temptation to a Gransfors Axe so couldn't justufy the Hat. Next month tho!

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
I didn't buy
  • a Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet, couldn't see the point of paying the same price (almost) as for a SFA and I didn't want a SFA.
  • an Alpkit Hunka, although I do regret not getting one of the seconds for £10

I did buy a Snugpak Chrysalis sleeping bag though :rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... even though I was sorely tempted - due to my conscience constantly asking if I really, really needed it:

Oh, yes :lmao: .

Mind you, I talked myself out of something last year. On mentioning it (and being honest about the price :yikes: ) to swmbo I was told that I should have bought it - sometimes you can't win :slap: - they weren't there this year :eek: .

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I didn't buy:-

A bamboo base layer (now regretting this)
A double Ventile second (Country Innovations Rover Jacket with no label) from the Keela stand for £50 (it was large, too big for me)
A Gransfors axe (if it came with the nice young Swedish lady making the knives I would have been sorely tempted)
A solar charger for my mobile phone (not too urgent yet)
A hog roast (Nearly an hour's work at the minimum wage)
Some Fjallraven trousers (need to save up!)
A really tasty knife from the Bison Bushcraft stand (er...£1200)
A pair of Alpkit Jeanius jeans (brilliant water resistant denim, but a bit trendy)

I did buy:-

Two pairs of wool socks
Venison mushroom and something else hotdog
Coffee
Car park ticket for £8 that nobody checked on the way out.

The last of the big spenders!!! (Still working on the first million, they say it's the hardest)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Wink said:
I didn't buy:-

A bamboo base layer (now regretting this)

This is one of the things I did buy (from Mountain Junky) and wore it on Sunday on a long day in the hills where it performed well. So well that I think I might get a khaki version as well.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
(whoops)

I also ordered a hoody in NATO green from them and they agreed to supply it after the show (they had run out of my size) for £30 inc pp.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I resisted buying everything except some dehydrated icecream (Mmmmmmm!) and some Dried susage (MMMMmmmmmmm) - mind you I have organised some tasty review items to be sent to me for my magazine columns:cool: ;) :)
All work......:p

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
This is one of the things I did buy (from Mountain Junky) and wore it on Sunday on a long day in the hills where it performed well. So well that I think I might get a khaki version as well.

I was wondering if they lived up to the billing! How does it compare to merino or synthetic? Any lingering dampness? At half the price of merino it seems a bargain.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I was wondering if they lived up to the billing! How does it compare to merino or synthetic? Any lingering dampness? At half the price of merino it seems a bargain.

Probably not quite as warm as merino but no sign of smelliness and it didn't feel damp. That said, it wasn't the sweatiest of days. I really liked the feel of the fabric - almost silky. And it comes in sensible colours - og and khaki. I was advised to get the medium although I usually "go large" and it is a snug fit without being too tight. I might get a large khaki so that I can wear it a little looser in hotter months.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
we went to the NZ expo, and ended up buying tickets for the outdoor show on the door to do both in the same day, was ace !

didnt buy anything though, but came away with 4 carrier bags of leaflets from the two shows combined, and that was just getting the ones that were likely to be useful. :)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I didnt buy :- a very nice Knife which I fell in love with £170.00 Having bought a mora clipper until I become more adept at using one, at which point I might have a crack at making my own.

A Gransfors Axe again ill wait until I really need a good one and learn with a cheapo.

An exped down mat I was about to buy one when a guy who owned one told me a horror story about the last 3 he had had!!! (they look really comfy though and he might just be really unlucky)

I did buy (well swmbo did) herself a new Paramo Jacket! she got her self some alpkit t shirts, a fleece form Montane and a new Buff. I got a seconds hunka bivvy form alpkit for £10. cant help but think I went wrong somewhere!!!!!

Andy

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The last of the big spenders!!! (Still working on the first million, they say it's the hardest)

I missed it again, so the thing I did not buy at the Show was a ticket.

The car park at the NEC is a license to print money. That is how you make a million, trap people, and give them no other choice. Us locals, know the score, so we use public transport, or shank's pony.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I actually looked at getting the train, but by the time it got there from Norfolk it would be time to come home again! Ho hum.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I actually looked at getting the train, but by the time it got there from Norfolk it would be time to come home again! Ho hum.

It's certainly a long day travelling and if the show leaves you wanting it could be considered a wasted trip, a wasted day and a waste of money ... that's partly the reason that I booked a Meet just down the road from the NEC. The Meet booking form's already gone in for the 2010 Outdoors Show Meet :D .

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
An exped down mat I was about to buy one when a guy who owned one told me a horror story about the last 3 he had had!!! (they look really comfy though and he might just be really unlucky)

the key to this is that he felt ok to buy 3 of the things at £100 a pop, so he obviously isnt giving you the whole story.

M

Maverick47

I've been using an ExpedSynmat7 over the Winter, superb piece of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE