Strike-anywhere matches

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Have made a shotgun cartridge match case and now need some strike-anywhere matches to put in it. Whereabouts can I source these from?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
SA matches are illegal in the UK, because of their formula. And thus as far as I know not available. Most people bring their own SA matches from the US when they're over. Also something on bursting into flames spontaneous :eek:

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3703&highlight=matches

As an alternative: Swan Vesta's seem to be popular ... though, almost any match will do - but not as a SA.

Edit: after reading the complete thread - there seem to be some sort of SA matches available :rolleyes:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
strike anywhere matches are readily available form any news agents in the United Kingdom, the most readily available brands are 'England’s Glory' (made is Sweden) and swan vistas.

the strike anywhere matches in the UK are not as sensitive as those available in the US however due to our stricter laws in the UK.

British regulation strike anywhere matches should do you fine though, they will strike on sand paper and the surface of a house brick etc. where as the American strike anywhere matches will literally strike almost anywhere including in your pocket by rubbing against each other, hence there illegality here.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
ahjno ever played with "stinkies"? they are a form of SA match made from a small roll of waxpaper. Although a bit useless for lighting fire's, because it requires beter tinder than matches. Might aswell get a ferrosium rod than.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
funny you name the waxmatches,i had a box of them stashed away a few years back in what i thought was an airtight container. they still have the problem of attracting moisture from the air like normal matches.

normal matches i can still think of being usefull as tinder after drying up,the waxed paper did no more then quench the flame i build up by dripping wax....

i ended up exchanging my pack of matches for a piezo gaslighter from cricket.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Stickie said:
Also the US type strike anywhere matches have been used as a detonator in IEDs (Improvised Explosive Device) - there was a rumour some time ago that SA matches might become illegal in America due their potential use to terrorists.

Doesn't stop them selling hexitabs (used to make HMTD) and asprin (picric acid which is used as a booster explosive) Silver(used to make doublesalts which is a detonating explosive and thermometers that contain mercury (Mercury fulminate anyone?) so I am afraid that logic goes by the wayside slightly.

Strike anywhere matches seem a pale imitation in comparison and I think the main problem is numpties setting fire to their houses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE