Strawberries

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Been waiting for the wild strawberries to grow and ripen. Found some fairly large but cant find any reference to how big the fruits get? Some are nice and red the biggest about 1cm across, I know they are alot smaller than garden strawberries.
Ta Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If they're red give them a try. I'm very partial to them but they are small & seedy; the ones around here taste glorious....almost as though the scent of them is enriching the flavour :cool: never a lot on the bush but always a welcome one or two just ready for a munch.

cheers,
Toddy

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Been waiting for the wild strawberries to grow and ripen. Found some fairly large but cant find any reference to how big the fruits get? Some are nice and red the biggest about 1cm across, I know they are alot smaller than garden strawberries.
Ta Dave

Hi Dave,

I don’t think you will see any fruits until July/August they are very small in size approx 1 – 2cm in length.

StrawberryWild.jpg

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
mmmm, in about a fortnight i'll be practically buried in wild and cultivated strawbs.

has anyone tried them with pepper. its darn good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought some tea recently from nbtea; it's Strawberry pepper and it's really good :D Surprised me, but as they say on ebay, recommended :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Dave,

Are they in full fruit near you? The earliest crop I had last year was early July, I think I will have to see how ripe the ones near me are. I guess it shows that it is definitely getting warmer in the UK.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
mmmm, in about a fortnight i'll be practically buried in wild and cultivated strawbs.

has anyone tried them with pepper. its darn good.

Well, if you need a hand dealing with that, I'm pretty sure I can think of something to do with them - even the ones that aren't saleable... ;) :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Nigel, I am all new to this but quite lot seem to be pretty ripe. I am also paranoid about letting all the birds have them all!!!!:) D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE