Stove and cookware. Where to begin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
In my experience, titanium both heats up and cools down very quickly. It's a poor heat conductor because the heating tends to stay localised at the heat source - resulting in the base of the pot, over the flame, being much hotter than the rest of the base or sides - hence the hotspot. Wide bottom titanium pots exhibit this trait worse than tall/ narrow pots - as the flame on typical camp stoves is relatively narrow.

Perversely, tall narrow ali or SS pots suffer from the same problem, because, although the heat transfer is more even across the base, the sides remain relatively cool - resulting in burning/ sticking at the base of the pot. Zebra billys are great pots but, in my view, only when cooking over (not on) the fire - they stick like crazy when placed directly on a hot stove.

My titanium canteen cup is a winner because it has all the benefits of titanium (light, strong and doesn't taint the food/ water) whilst the design addresses the shortcomings of titanium. The titanium is very thick, the base of the cup is narrow (catching all the flame) and it widens as you get up to the lip, providing decent volume.
You don't burn your lips either.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Why not start with the obvious? The menu. What all do you intend to heat up?
What's the prep? Lots of cutty-cutty, chop, chop? Or not?
Besides boiling water, what else? I refuse to recommend some stupid pot, the likes of which you will never need
for foods you will never eat.
The menu suggests volumes. Economy suggests simple kit for a start. Will you stir with a stick?
Will you eat with a stick? The utensils and simple eating bowls are valuable considerations.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
I don't see utensils as valuable considerations you pick up utensils cheaply from most places. Even titanium ones are cheap. You can steal them from roadside cafes. You can eat with your fingers, or anything you have on hand.

The menu ie what he plans to cook could be a consideration but you all we know he's off to mongolia and will cook whatever he comes across.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Why not start with the obvious? The menu. What all do you intend to heat up?
What's the prep? Lots of cutty-cutty, chop, chop? Or not?
Besides boiling water, what else? I refuse to recommend some stupid pot, the likes of which you will never need
for foods you will never eat.
The menu suggests volumes. Economy suggests simple kit for a start. Will you stir with a stick?
Will you eat with a stick? The utensils and simple eating bowls are valuable considerations.

+1 on this

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE