Stove advice

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
im looking for a stove and im pondering between the msr superfly and windpro.

I frequently go mounteneering so the stove must be able to withstand windy conditions etc etc which makes me think the windpro is better but it has less cartridge compatibility and is heavier...

Also i am confused as to wether you have to prime the windpro?? could someone awnser this please

what do you think?

any other ideas on the <&#163;70 mark

thanks

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
The windpro doesn't need primed, it's a gas stove.

Why do you want a gas stove for mountaineering anyways? In cold or altitude, the performance quickly drops off, and fuel is expensive. Plus you have to keep them in your sleeping bag and warm all the time.

Out of the two, I'd go for the windpro, as burners which sit on top may be lighter, but are alot less stable, and in a big gale even pans will blow away.

I personally use an msr dragonfly, top notch piece of kit, very fast boil times, excellent in cold or high up, and just about under &#163;70 including postage if you buy from the states and get it shipped across. Over here it is like &#163;120. It melts snow extremely fast. And fuel is pennies, 600ml of paraffin fuel lasts about 2 or 3 hours, and boils about 20l of water. Which is about 20p an hour on full snow melting blast. And most of the time all you need is something to boil water. But it's also easy to adjust, I have deep fried easily with it. It's pretty stable, and windproof completely. It roars very loadly, but only really noticable inside.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I disagree slightly with the "windproof completely"; although I do use my own, rather than the MSR, windshield (it also acts as a hobo). This is not a criticism, just a reflection of the poor siting of my last campsite.
The hose is slightly too short to use stably with the larger gas canisters; again, more advice than criticism.

EDIT: just re-read. Mine's the Windpro, not the Dragonfly. And I'm quite happy with it, all the same. Also, it replaces a Mountain Stove, which was sold as being altitude-friendly (due to the gas mix as much as the burner).

D

Deleted member 7976

I wouldn't consider either or those stoves suitable for mountaineering. In the cold, when the gas level starts to drop, and you stuck in a crosswind you'll be lucky to get the water boiling. Even singly just one of those 3 will give an annoying performance drop.

If you really do want gas have a look at the new Reactor. It's double the price of the Windpro but in a league of it's own. Apart from the cooling effect on the sides of the pan it's impervious to wind. The only time I've noticed it slow down is when you get to the last fumes but it will boil until the canister is completely empty. On the plus side it's very convenient: much quicker to set up and start cooking than liquid fuel which can be nice. On the negatives you are limited to using the integral pan and like many MSRs you have to be choosy about what you cook - it's so effecient it's almost impossible to simmer, especially with thicker liquids. Like the XKG it's either on or off (though not as bad). It's what I take on very short trips or day's out

Like fishy1 though I'd have to vote for liquid fuel, and the Dragonfly. I've been using an XGK for 10+ years now and it's bomber. Nothing to go wrong and goes like a shuttle booster rocket in any condition, or is off. Just had to replace the fuel pump as after a decade it was developing cracks but still functional. It's just limiting with the menu - it carbonised and welded my pasta to the bottom of the pan last month while boiling it! So I've finally bought a dragonfly for my 2 week trip at the weekend as I'm thinking of taking 2 stoves and needed an excuse to buy one :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE