Stockholm Tar

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stockholm tar is very possible - its how I make my pine tar soap.

You can use whatever your favourite soap recipe is - the tar is purely an additive to the fat base. Add about an ounce of tar per pound of fat base

Be very careful - this stuff goes to trace at light speed - like 10 seconds with manual stirring. Add the caustic, a quick manual stir and get it in the mold!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The tar catalyses saponification - its damn near instant with all recipes. In fact unless I use a slow trace basic forumla I can't get it in the mold in time!

A recipe that will take 30 minutes of manual stirring will trace in 10 seconds with tar added :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hot water and lye IS the natural recipe sadly - lye is water through wood ash

Wet ash and dripping animal fat from the fire = soap (at least thats how I see it being discovered)

Caustic soda is a little more consistent.

Its undeniably something where gloves, long sleeves and eye protection is necessary although not wildly fearsome unless you do something really stupid...like adding caustic to goats milk. Thats not funny. Even a bit.

I did a tutorialwith pictures so you can see the process happening if that helps

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25733

Red

I have made lye soap before it turned out well but took for ever for it to trace I will use the pine tar trick next time I make up a batch...

We can no longer have lye in the stores here government saving us from ourselves I guess but will be making my own with the water through the ash trick, at least they can not take the knowledge away from us...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE