Stoat or Pine Martin traks??

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Was out checking for deer getting in to the main garden and see this.

http://http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/rob2nd9th/?action=view&current=Photo-0014.jpg

My glove to give an idea of size.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/rob2nd9th/?action=view&current=Photo-0015.jpg

Iv see Pine martins about but this looks like stoat? any input thx..

And as a bonus as i was kneeling to take the photo my mate came to look at what i was doing :)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/rob2nd9th/th_Robinonknee.jpg

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
No photos? will sort that out
:confused::confused:

Cant get

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd reckon that these are the tracks of a stoat, however an expert will be along shortly with a more reliable identification.

:)

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Is the that the only set of tracks visible?

From the picture there's no evidence in the snow of the creature arriving or leaving, which leads me to think it's a bird, possibly a magpie - they hop and drag their tails.

If it was a stoat, I'd expect to see the prints of the back feet just behind the front when they jump along.

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Sorry, just on ether side of the tracks is the start/end of an old wall and the tracks did go some way and seamed to go under a part of the wall. Iv not see Magpies here, but that not to say there around. the foot prints did seam small and round and not bird like.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd expect to see the tracks more like this - the little 'o' being the front feet. The dashes are there because I can't put loads of spaces inbetween.

O o------O o------O o
O o------O o------O o

Last edited:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Em I'm wouldnt be sure its a stoat or martin. Never seen the drag marks in between before on matrin tracks. Never seen stoat tracks though. Also, the scale seems a little small maybe. Bushwhacker has the track prints pretty well above. Usually u would see the claw marks too. Squirrell? Never seen the drag marks with them either though so dont know. Looking again the foot shape doesnt seem right for a martin but I could be well off! I love the snow for tracks!

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Looked at my photos of martin tracks in the snow and foot shape doesnt look right. Cant post em cos I dont have a photo bucket thingy or whatever it is you need. Must look into it, have a few nice pics.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
No what i was saying was the O-o were small and round like squirrel prints and not -< like a bird print, as for the Drag the snow is deep so more of a resting imprint? pos?

Once my dog ploughed a furrow with his "Bits" in deep snow :lmao:

Ha ha :) ! Is he hung low or was the snow deep?

Hard to tell from the photos alright. Doesnt look like a bird to me but hard to tell. Were there any pad impressions or nail marks in the snow? That always helps me narrow it down. When I was taking track photos in the snow I adjusted the contrast afterwards and some nice detail usually came out. Id love to post some photos now.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
The more I look at it the stranger it seems. There are 2 distinct drag marks, so prob feet and not tail. Strange there arent 2 sets of prints one behind the other so maybe whatever it was was in a run and were looking at front paws and back paws well set apart. From the size it could be a squirrell, are there many around there by the way? Reds or greys?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE