Stinging nettles

Novusordo

Banned
Aug 30, 2008
Midlands
I went out to the local par/wood and thought I might as well have a go at making cord from stinging nettles, or at least get to know the plant somewhat.

I was very careful to uproot the plant without touching the leaves yet I was still getting stung by the prickly hairs that are present on the actual stem.

Everywhere I read it says the only part that stings is the outer-rim of the leaves.

I don't understand....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically any hair on a nettle can sting.
Never seen any other advice :confused:

Crush them, dry them, or heat them and it will destroy the mechanism that allows the cells to sting.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

Yeah, I wear gloves :) and I don't care how often people confidently tell me just grasp firmly and they won't sting..........if I'm gathering a load, I wear the gloves :rolleyes:

cheers,
M:rolleyes:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i wore leather gloves and long sleeves- and still got stung! bash them a bit with a mallet opr the butt of your knife and it will kill the stingers and make it easier to separate the fibres.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There's no bravery award for getting nettles out with your bare hands. Good pair of strong leather gloves, run your hand up the stalk to remove the leaves. Carry on as all the other tutorials will testify. Same for bramble cordage too. Incidentally, those bracelets I made my girl are still going strong!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE