Steep learning curve!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
So after about a year of pretty instsent nagging, finally got round to teaching SWMBO to weld! It might not be pretty but it's functional, much like myself ;-) . And I don't think it's bad for a first timer whos idea of diy is phoning the plumber herself
9e6e16df055fe5eff3b7082886b91be4.jpg

Was more to teach fundamentals than anything else, wee bit of porosity in the first attempt but was soon learning to control an arc and listening to the weld.
One scary moment of her being a bit vigorous while striking the ark and trying to electocute me in the process, but we all had to learn somewhere!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great work there. Nice to see a successful first time effort.

So, what are you going to use that armoured hat for? It looks a bit uncomfortable :rolleyes:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'll be using that to protect myself next time she gets a grinder in her hands!
"Watch the kick mind Steph it's going to bite"
*grinder kicks*
"You could have told me it was going to kick Michael!"

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'll be using that to protect myself next time she gets a grinder in her hands!
"Watch the kick mind Steph it's going to bite"
*grinder kicks*
"You could have told me it was going to kick Michael!"

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you'll need it :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well done her, I can't do it :(
Welding is the easiest thing in the world just remember, keep the arc short and prep the weld. If it sounds like someone frying an egg you ain't doing bad!
One little issue was actually my fault. The hinge on the door was unbenown to me, made of cast iron. Sitting listening to it clink and fracture as it cooled was heartbreaking!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not learning to weld is one of my great regrets. Still time I suppose ...
Honestly buy a little £30ish hobby arc kit and have a go on some scrap welding different fillets and beads you'll pick it up in no time at all. They come up in aldi and lidl now and then for buttons and they're a good starter kit. More so now with speedglas/reactalite screens being on Amazon and such for £20 or so. I learned as a nipper (maybe 8ish) with a hand screen and auto darkening screens make it so much easier.
Admittedly some welding is very skilled and well beyond my capabilities but the basics are much easier than youd think. Never too late to learn a new skill

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Honestly buy a little £30ish hobby arc kit and have a go on some scrap welding different fillets and beads you'll pick it up in no time at all. They come up in aldi and lidl now and then for buttons and they're a good starter kit. More so now with speedglas/reactalite screens being on Amazon and such for £20 or so. I learned as a nipper (maybe 8ish) with a hand screen and auto darkening screens make it so much easier.
Admittedly some welding is very skilled and well beyond my capabilities but the basics are much easier than youd think. Never too late to learn a new skill
Better start saving up then.
Thank you for the advice. :)

Ian

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Better start saving up then.
Thank you for the advice. :)

Ian
No problem. Check gumtree and flebay peridodically and you can pick them up for next to nothing. For home use I would stick to arc sets MIG sets become expensive buying gas constantly. Unless you have a friend in the pub business that can be tapped up for a CO2 bottle

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I learned the basics many years ago but I've never done enough to get any good at it. I still have the scar on top of my foot where a drop of molten metal found the lace hole in my boot and went straight through!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I learned the basics many years ago but I've never done enough to get any good at it. I still have the scar on top of my foot where a drop of molten metal found the lace hole in my boot and went straight through!
Oof I bet that stung! Amazing how long welded pieces stay hot for too. I've had a few minor ones, mainly through negligence and using gloves with a hole in them. And a good few chemical burns in my time. I should really wear gloves!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I learned the basics about five years ago. That was also the last time I did any welding. a Bloke I worked with at the time took some time out of his day to show me. I don't have my own welder so Iv never had the chance to get good at it. Its another one of those things that I would like to own and get good at. The list grows all the time !

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I learned the basics about five years ago. That was also the last time I did any welding. a Bloke I worked with at the time took some time out of his day to show me. I don't have my own welder so Iv never had the chance to get good at it. Its another one of those things that I would like to own and get good at. The list grows all the time !

I worked my way through uni working in factory metal shops. So now I have to play about to keep my eye in. One of about 300 hobbies!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE