Steel

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I find S30V keeps an edge great but still sharpens easy with a few strokes on a Sharpmaker. Much better than the old 440 stuff. ZDP and S110V is a different story though ! Damascus is fine with me when good makers use two good steels, unfortunately lots is made with rubbish and no use apart from show knives.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I guess when it comes to factory blades it's in the compabies interest to keep coming up with new and exciting steels to keep the junkies happy. I don't think it's a bad thing as more choice is always good. It means you can find a steel that suits your needs best. For example, 339v has been mentioned. I find it suits those who like a toothy edge, so in the reLm of modern stele I'd go for xhp, since I prefer a polished edge.
However, all the fancy steels in the world can't conpete with a good smith and sometimes I feel famcy steels are used to make up for lack of talent in this area. Of all the blades I own, the one forged from good, virgin W2 steel is in my opinion the best. It was forged by a master smith who knows exactly what he is doing, and you can tell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE