starling flocks in central scotland ?

mayweed-6

Nov 19, 2005
edinburgh
eh oop people, does anybody know if there are places in central Scotland, particularly near Edinburgh, that starling flocks congregate and put on their amazing swooping/diving/flying display team antics ? Need to film this spectacle for the purposes of being a poor starving (read for that 'drunken') artist - any help would be gratefully appreciated.....

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If you don't get anywhere closer, the rail bridge going into central station in Glasgow is where I've seen the most impressive displays. :)

Hardly ever in town these days but I presume they're still at it. They often gather over towards Ibrox and perform just south of the river before screaming into the structure.
Standing on the Commerce St road bridge you're almost among them as they come in. You might get a good angle from up the end of the last platform in the station itself.

Someone to act as a hawk spotter may be handy. Usualy the first you see of them is when all hell breaks loose among the starlings.

mayweed-6

Nov 19, 2005
edinburgh
cheers for that, I'll have a wee investigate of your tipoff, the RSPB also mentioned Gretna Green as a possibility so maybe a roadtrip round Scotland is in order...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
they stopped flocking in edinburgh when they introduced those spiky devices that stop pigeons roosting and deficating on things like waverley station.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE