Spots in Scotland

Apr 3, 2009
Naaarfolk
Hi all.

Long-time lurker here, first-time poster :p. Thanks for all the handy resources of course! Mrs D. and I are heading up to Scotland in the middle of June or thereabouts. I've been trawling through topics and websites galore and I really haven't a clue where to go wild camping. There are lots of posts from years gone by suggesting various spots and I'm reluctant to put my faith in them.

Taking the car is an option, as is train but I'd rather not hike more than 1-3hrs from a train station or car park to a camp site. I'm also not sure how to ensure I'm not on someone's shooting grounds or etc..

So long story short, who's been and do you have any suggestions for any hammock-friendly spots? I would really appreciate your experience. Not sure how far North we want to go yet so we're open to suggestions :)

Thanks!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I reckon if you're prepared to hike 3 hours to a campsite you'll find just about anything you want. Knoydart and Etive are usually popular. I'd suggest the Angus Glens.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi Doomah,

I have been up to scotland a couple of times. My advice is do some practice camps locally, make sure you have exactly what you will need. Midges and the very quickly changing weather are not things to be taken lightly. Even in the middle of June you will need some good waterproofs and some warm clothing with you as the weather can turn and get very wet, very quickly. Faster and wetter than down here. Also if you take too much it will kill the enjoyment of being there as you will have so much gear to lug around.

In addition to do that sort of journey you are going to want to be there for more than a couple of days, this means you will either have to move around (another reason to be picky with how much and the weight of your kit) when you get there or plan the odd night in a b&b which you might find handy for sorting out and washing your kit etc. You can't just stay in one place for 5 days as you will impact that area too much. For me Scotland requires some good planning, good kit, good experience and good luck due to the distance and cost of getting there.

Any question feel free to ask or pm me.

BTW I am not an expert on Scotland, I have just been there a couple of times camping when based just down the road from Naaafolk.

Apr 3, 2009
Naaarfolk
Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies!

I've been wild camping quite a few times now. Locally and in Eastern Europe, and a couple of times in the rain. Personally I have all the kit I could need except a fresh butane canister :D, but the other half has nothing yet and is a 'camping novice' shall we say. So there's a lot of kit I need to get ahold of but I know pretty much what we need and what we don't and will be using the millions of posts on this forum to help. I also need to get ahold of a tent eventually 'cause I never really use them except a mini children's one for my canine companion (who won't be coming).

It'd be great to start somewhere and eventually end up in a town or city with a railway station. I'd love to do a short-medium excersion (don't want to put her off the mountains too quickly!) and eventually end up in a city. Where abouts have you been Steve?

And thanks locum76, I'll have a look now at Angus Glens :)

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi Doomah, As an old Scot myself I can tell you there are some amazing places to go. Basically, what do you want to see? What kind of terrain suits you? Like seaside? Mountain? maybe a mix? Don't worry about being on someone's land, they will tell you if you are. Meet with a smile and you'll get best advice. Always apply the common sense bit though, responsible camping, no fires where you could create hell, not on agricultural land etc, you know the drill.
Uncleboo above has given you a cracking pointer. Corrour.
If you look at the maps from Glasgow to Fort William or Mallaig you won't go wrong.
A couple of my favourite places are Glen Etive or the Silver Sands of Morar. The sands are amazing. I'm hoping, naw, I've decided I'm going home for a visit and some camping/fishing this year myself and the above is high on the list. (I live in Bulgaria). Any questions just fire away and I'll fill you in best as I can. Ullapool and beyond is breathtaking, then there ar the Trossachs,Perthshire,get a ferry to one of the islands on the Clyde?,Arrochar and the little hills, Oban,Arisaig,Lochgoil,Gareloch lol. I think you get the picture. I have spent many many happy camping days in my native Scotland so any help I can give is yours for the asking. Enjoy your trip whatever your destination. Just remember it could become addictive lol

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Ah! Couldn't find this thread earlier. Anyone got any pics of spots they've stayed at? Preferably with fires? Off North next week.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
Find somewhere that you like the look of, stop, pitch your tarp, enjoy - it's that easy! Like others have said it depends on what terrain you want, how far you want to walk, what services if any you would like reasonably close by.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I was out walking with S1 kids in the Pentlands today, lots of small patches of forrest there. All camping allowed with 'Responsible Use' under law.

We had gusts and horizontal rain and then hot sun. So take plenty of clothing.

Get the train to Mallaig/Arisaig and explore !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE