Spoonylicious!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
My last "field" spoon benefited from finding a 35mm sandstone ball in a stream bed. It does a great job of "sanding" out the bowl. Somehow, it seemed better than using my crooked knife. (Good Lord, I've caught the spoon pox! :yikes: )

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Thats ace!!.. I like what you did at the end of the handle, I am always short of inspiration there......

My spoons always seem to end up a little delicate.... hours of "just a little more off that side" normally leaves me with a nice spoon / toothpick combo :roll:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
It helps to draw what your thinking of with a soft pencil and just remove the wood to just outside the lines and then sand to a nice finish,your not on your own with the spoon tooth pick combo though :rolmao:

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I just made my first ever spoon! In fact, it's one of the first things I've made a long time. It's not straight, but I love it anyway. The main reason I'm telling you is because I was inspired to try it by someone who said you didn't need a crook knife and could even use timber. In the end, I had a £3 hacksaw, a hammer and a mora knife, and I made a spoon from a 2cmx15cm x30cm section of pine plank. In true bushcraft style, I improvised an axeless way to split the wood using a hammer and an old cleaver, sawing in stop cuts. The bowl of the spoon is very shallow and was made simply with sandpaper. I'm tempted to splash-out £3 on a hoof knife to make another attempt at the bowl before I oil it, and turn it into a rustic masterpiece. :eek:):

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Well done :biggthump you can deepen the bowl with a small ember from the fire also, take a small ember place it in the center of the bowl and jently blow it and move it around burning away a small amount of wood accross the surface of the bowl gradually deepening it, it can then be sanded if you want a smooth finish or use the curve at the tip of your knife to get a shallow bowl as long as it can stir your tea and get food in your mouth its a good spoon :wink: what it looks like will come with practice :biggthump

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Thanks paganwolf! I'm going to avoid burning this one because it's small will be difficult to do. Sand paper and lots of effort will see a spoon this small finished. I want my first spoon to be an unqualified success, so I stay enthusiastic!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
philaw said:
Thanks paganwolf! I'm going to avoid burning this one because it's small will be difficult to do. Sand paper and lots of effort will see a spoon this small finished. I want my first spoon to be an unqualified success, so I stay enthusiastic!

Don't forget to post a pic. Your first spoon is very special.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
phil.. depending on your membership you can upload them to the BCUK gallery..

or you can store them here the password is "bushcraftuk" anyone can use this account to host pics if they wish!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Nice spoon Pagan wolf, though I am curious as to why you split the billet with your axe and then proceeded to put in stop cuts with your saw? If you had the axe to hand why not blank out the spoon with the axe? Its much quicker.

Spoon blanked out with axe

Finished with knife, and spoon knife

I sanded it at home but have since given this one away, though I may have some pics somewhere.
Sorry for the bad photagraphy.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
bushblade said:
Nice spoon Pagan wolf, though I am curious as to why you split the billet with your axe and then proceeded to put in stop cuts with your saw? If you had the axe to hand why not blank out the spoon with the axe? Its much quicker.

Hi Bushblade, theres more than one way to skin a cat, this is just one method easy to follow for a first spoon, if your not used to handling an axe one wrong chop could see half of the bowl in the fire and the rest quickly follows, it gives confidence if your first one comes out good, and yes much quicker to rough out with an axe and its how i would usually blank one, but i just thought showing this method was a tad easier and usefull for carving other small items that can be whittled and carved.. :?: :biggthump

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Paganwolf said:
Hi Bushblade, theres more than one way to skin a cat, this is just one method easy to follow for a first spoon, if your not used to handling an axe one wrong chop could see half of the bowl in the fire and the rest quickly follows, it gives confidence if your first one comes out good, and yes much quicker to rough out with an axe and its how i would usually blank one, but i just thought showing this method was a tad easier and usefull for carving other small items that can be whittled and carved.. :?: :biggthump

Good point, I was showing someone how to carve a spoon the other day (a large willow fell down at work) and it was easier to explain how to do it with the saw rather than the axe.
And I do remember telling him to learn how to use a knife and saw before the axe, walk before you run sort of thing. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE