Space rockets :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not remotely bushcrafty...

Yesterday NASA tested the 'Max Launch Abort System' which is the bit of their new spacecraft that rescues astronauts from imminent death when things go wrong and the vehicle explodes on the launch pad.

A three and a half minute video features a bit of chat to begin with, then the launch followed by a succession of ever larger parachutes that return the capsule to earth.

[video=youtube;g2Z35JqnV7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Z35JqnV7I[/video]

:D

Last edited:

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
As I recall, they had a small rocket escape system atop the old SaturnV rockets to facilitate launch failure extractions which culd not be incorporated into the shuttle due to configuration and weight...............

This seems to be a developement for the next generation of space craft............

Even given that some of the stages in the vid (I couldn't here any dialogue) are there to enable a launch.....it does to me, seem to be somewhat elaborate! I've always held the belief that the more there is, the more there is to go wrong.....ie a failure at any stage would result on disaster!

Smoggy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...it does to me, seem to be somewhat elaborate! I've always held the belief that the more there is, the more there is to go wrong.....ie a failure at any stage would result on disaster!"

I would imagine that the complexity of the systems involved in getting people to the moon are a function of the bidding process, with so many corporations wanting their share of the pie, the more parts and systems the more pie to share around.

I recall watching a BBC documentary on the ever changing reasons for having an 'International Space Station' one of the NASA chaps was being quizzed about why it was taking so long and costing so much money to develop a lavatory/water recycler for the station. They had spent millions and nothing to show for it and yet the Russians had a perfectly serviceable system that was made from plumbing parts, cost only a few thousand dollars and had been in service for years on the MIR station.:dunno:

Good vid, Would it have saved the guys in the Challenger in '86 though ?

No, the Shuttle has a very Heath Robinson like escape set up. :(

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
More rockets!

The Chinese have sent a robot to the moon! Here is the launch with an appalling patriotic music overdub. :)

[video=youtube;ctTBRWMh3yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTBRWMh3yw[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE