South Wales Trackers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 26, 2005
aberdare
Are any trackers from south wales available to teach a newb during xmas holidays please?
Im a keen and hard working learner

If not could you at least suggest reading material as i cant make up my mind as there are so many books. I'd like one that would be useful to track animals in the Brecon Beacons

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi,

Went for a walk on Saturday in Westish Wales, along a stretch of waterfalls. There was a lot of snow, lots of mud, and trails.

This gave plenty of opportunity for amateur tracking, recognising various boot treds, paw prints, hoof prints, where birds had landed, hopped around and taken off. I am pretty sure that I spotted some Otter pooh, alongside the riverbank, which is probably the closest I'll ever get to one.

For a newbie to tracking it was quite revealing. Do a bit of research, buy a book, and get out tracking. Great fun.

Regards

TC

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Wenie said:
Collins Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs is a very useful tracking resource, I've found. It covers actual tracks, feeding signs and more. :)

Its not Collins` Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs, do you realy think they have a clue?? :) Its Preban Bang and Preben Dahlstrom that out the work into that book.. Nerdy to pick up on that i know, but i hate it when publishing companies put their name in the place o fhte experts that did all the work. Infact most recent prints of the book have their names back in place.

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
Fallow Way said:
Its not Collins` Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs, do you realy think they have a clue?? :) Its Preban Bang and Preben Dahlstrom that out the work into that book.. Nerdy to pick up on that i know, but i hate it when publishing companies put their name in the place o fhte experts that did all the work. Infact most recent prints of the book have their names back in place.
I thought it best to include the full title of the copy of the book I own, which is indeed "Collins Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs", not the recent print of the book that you mention. As there is actually no apostrophe in the title, there seems to me to be no suggestion that the Collins publishing group are trying to steal Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom's glory, rather that they are indicating that this book is a part of the "Collins Guide" series.
Anyway, this is all getting a bit offtopic... :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Fallow Way said:
It is not Collins Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs. Do you really think they have a clue? It was Preban Bang and Preben Dahlstrom who put the work into that book. Nerdy to pick up on that I know, but I hate it when publishing companies put their name in the place of the experts that did all the work. In fact, most recent prints of the book have their names back in place.

Now that makes sense. I always wondered how this Colin character managed to know so much about such a wide variety of topics. :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Are any trackers from south wales available to teach a newb during xmas holidays please?
Im a keen and hard working learner
I'm sure we can go through some basics with you sometime..... There are quite a few of us living in your area ;)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE