Sourdough starter gone mouldy!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
On my third attempt, I got a really good sourdough starter going - first couple of attempts using various Tesco flour didn't really go well, but on this last one I added some elderflowers (idea from Toddy :thanks: ) and it really frothed up...

...but when I checked the jam-jar in the fridge last night, there was some mould growing up the sides of the jar (where the mix had splashed up the inside of the jar). I would just throw it away but, as I've been trying for about a month now to get a good starter going and there aren't going to be any more elderflowers until next year, I'd like to salvage it if I can.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether or not it is advisable to try and salvage the mix, or just put it down to experience.

Geoff

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
On my third attempt, I got a really good sourdough starter going - first couple of attempts using various Tesco flour didn't really go well, but on this last one I added some elderflowers (idea from Toddy :thanks: ) and it really frothed up...

...but when I checked the jam-jar in the fridge last night, there was some mould growing up the sides of the jar (where the mix had splashed up the inside of the jar). I would just throw it away but, as I've been trying for about a month now to get a good starter going and there aren't going to be any more elderflowers until next year, I'd like to salvage it if I can.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether or not it is advisable to try and salvage the mix, or just put it down to experience.

Geoff

Get rid/clean off the mould, keep going, however if the mould continues to grow or the starter turns a funny colour throw it out and start again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree.
Basically sourdough is a stable mix of buggits and yeasts that keep each other in check.
Maybe try scooping out some of the mix, avoiding the contaminated sides, and feed this on a new mix of flour and warm water. If it too grows funny I think I'd start again :sigh:
Sorry if it's my elderflower addmix that's caused the problem, but my own one is stable as as a rock.

cheers,
mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE