some questions about slingshot making

my planned trip through china and southeast asia has failed from the beginning (mainly because despite the darn things being used everywhere i could NOWHERE find the trailer my whole plan was based on; trying to find maps in china...eerrhhmmm) and i'm totally and thoroughly feed up to the brim by the country( i stopped counting how many times i got sent deliberately the wrong way when asking for direction; also had several cases of "no service for foreigners in buses/ restaurants etc.) and 99,999999% of it's sheeple(just the number of them got onto my nerves!).

but at least i'm back for another visit to god's own country(OZ)!
which gives me the opportunity to get into serios practising with slingshots. as i'm under the impression that i cannot aim very well with the factory-made one i got 5years ago from my aborigine host as well as i could with a homemade one i'm planning to make my own.
which type of fork is better: Y-shape (easy to cut from a forked branch)or U-shape? and what would be the right dimensions?

also: appearently "theraband" is the most powerfull stuff as bands. as purchase over internet is not my type of thing- what "civilian" (other) uses are for that stuff and what would be the right measurements? (i plan to use single bands while practising)

if somebody has some info's or could direct me to an existing thread....

THANKS

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
When using your slingshot don't forget to use it in the correct, and safe, manner:
school cap on askew and tongue poking out as you take aim...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Take care with the polis - Unless things have changed since I was a lad, slingshots are a no-no in Oz. They might turn a blind eye to a hand-crafted twig with some lackkie bands.

Take care with the polis - Unless things have changed since I was a lad, slingshots are a no-no in Oz. They might turn a blind eye to a hand-crafted twig with some lackkie bands.

depends which state you are in...

W.A. does not allow them- in tassie i met a shopowner who SOLD some to the cops...

i'd practise out bush anyway and OZ is not my only haunting ground(they're comlpetely legal in new zealand for instance)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Have a look on here - lots of info about construction, shooting, techniques, elastic etc etc. A good catty is certainly not a kids toy, and theres good reasons why the police in various parts of the world are not fans.

http://melchiormenzel.de/

HTH

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Forgot to say - Theraband - flat or tube - is used as an exercise device by physiotherapists all over the world. Can often be bought in stores supplying medical equipment for use at home.

Peaks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE