Some newly split beech

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Dear Sirs, and ma'ams

thoday I came to an impasse, I got my self a new piece of Beech and finally came around to splitting it, all good and well but I cant figure out what to do wit it seeing the fact it has some kind of awkward twist followed by a bend in the grain.
Perhaps some idea's The only thing I could think off was a new Axehandle but seeing the timber is still green, I was not really feeling that.
DSC06002.jpg

I put the axe down there for scale ( a gransfors small forest axe), the timbers are about 220 cm in length

DSC05998.jpg

And the tools I used, sadly the wooden mallet dating back to my grandpa came apart during splitting, only comfort in that is that my grandpa would have said a tool is worthless if it wasnt put to use, man after my own heart.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Funny you should post this thread I was just out back cutting a couple chunks from some beech that fell this past winter. Using mine for some Kuksas and spoons

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
carved yourself a long twisted walking stick, and axe handle, or a new mallet handle with oak as a maul for splitting woods, a big nice laddle for soup, goulash, venison, beef, or lamb curry with your mates, a catapult, spatula, cheers the interceptor boy.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks interceptor boy, that actually gets me right on track ^^
I think this will be a new mallet as I demolished the other one ^^, and perhaps a nice walking stick, not the best wood for that but hey what the heck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE