Some guerrilla gardening

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was given a bamboo, not sure of species. I'm keen to screen out the security fence next door so planted it on a piece of scrubland that I'm pretty sure I don't own. Let's hope it goes mad!

null_zpsb3801ed2.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I grow ivy up over fences that I want to screen. It forms foot thick greenery that's full of life all year round. When (it rarely does, it goes up for preference) stretches out into the flower beds, I just pull it back and tuck it in close to the base of the fence. The fences are dry under it too, but I know that in one five metre stretch between me and my neighbour that there are wrens, robins, blackbirds, and bluetits, all with nests in it. I grow honeysuckle through that fenceline too and it's alive with colour. There's a hedgehog rustles along at the bottom of it as well.

Bamboo can be very beautiful; it doesn't do well here though. Very useful stuff, if your's takes off you might find yourself with some excellent resouces material too :D

cheers,
M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My parents in law have a variety of rose that has really thick stems, huge thorns and is quite hardy, that is what I use to make a more pleasant looking boundary.

P7210015.JPG

:)

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bamboo can be very beautiful; it doesn't do well here though. Very useful stuff, if your's takes off you might find yourself with some excellent resouces material too :D

cheers,
M

Not trying to be pedantic Toddy but doesn't that depend upon the species? I remember taking Martin Crawfords Forest Garden tour and he has a regular small forest of the stuff which they use as you say for the resources and bio-mass , the stuff I'm talking about was a good 7-10 m high and 15-20cm in diameter. So maybe just species dependent?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not trying to be pedantic Toddy but doesn't that depend upon the species? I remember taking Martin Crawfords Forest Garden tour and he has a regular small forest of the stuff which they use as you say for the resources and bio-mass , the stuff I'm talking about was a good 7-10 m high and 15-20cm in diameter. So maybe just species dependent?

Not really; it's all useable one way or t'other :D
If you've got huge stuff it makes everything from firepistons to musical instruments, from flooring to carrying tubes. Finer stuff's useful in the garden or for basketry. Offcuts bundled together make those insect overwintering house thingies too.
I suppose it depends on what you're interested in.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE