Some fungi from my garden

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Found quite a few fungi whilst wandering around my garden this morning. I'm not particularly after IDs but if anyone wants to suggest if they are anything interesting, do let me know.

Geoff

garden_fungi_01.jpg

garden_fungi_03.jpg

garden_fungi_04.jpg

garden_fungi_05.jpg

garden_fungi_02.jpg

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Wow you have a cool garden Geoff! I love the ones in the last picture - don't think I've
ever seen them before.

What's the pitting in the tree stump? It looks regularly patterned, is it natural?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was wondering what sort of replies I'd get about the last set of mushrooms. :D I'll tell you where they came from later.

The stump is a large conifer that I had taken down last year that was getting too near the overhead power lines (and incidentally, shading large parts of the garden from the sun). The pitting is not natural. I drilled a lot of holes in it in the hope of advancing the rotting process. I'd be tempted to drop some spores from the large cluster of Honey Fungus that I found in the local woods a few weeks ago, but I'm concerned that it may spread to the other good trees in the garden.

Geoff

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Am I right in thinking that the bottom picture is of "woodcarver gotbordum inediblis" - they certainly look a bit too woody to make tender eating........

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have to confess that I didn't make the last ones - my wife bought them at a Woodland Festival near here a couple of months ago from someone who works up on the Ridgeway doing chainsaw carving. These ones must be round about 5-6" across.

Geoff

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hah brilliant - I was fooled by the ones at the end :D Now I look at them a bit more
closely I see that the stalks are very thin, but they still look 'real' to me I have to say.

Nice thread :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hah brilliant - I was fooled by the ones at the end :D Now I look at them a bit more
closely I see that the stalks are very thin, but they still look 'real' to me I have to say.

Nice thread :)

Didn't mean to embarrass you on an open forum! :eek: It wasn't meant to be a trick photo, if you saw them in real life, you wouldn't have been fooled.

Geoff :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My dad played a trick on me when I first came back from from uni years ago. He put hemisphere shaped orange peel on sticks in the darkest part of the garden. He did fool me until I touched them. I was so embarrassed.
I like those wooden mushrooms I have carved some for friend with a dremel. They easy to make really. I have seen some of galerinas which are very realistic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE