So i own some woodland!

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone, i have always been in to woodwork and making things in general and i love to be in the woodland, recently i decided that i had had it with my day job.

my house got sold, i purchased an area of land in wales and i am building a house, workshop, and planting lot of trees and food sources. everything will be from natural materials. things that are required that nature can not provide will be sources from scrap or with the lowest of impact to the environment as possible. i will be using permaculture principles to deign and improve the land.

i have started a youtube channel to video my progress it is in the early stages but some interesting videos will be coming soon, i have almost completed a self built wind turbine from 80% scrap metal.

i have been milling a beautiful old oak tree in the interest of accumulating a good stock of wood for things that need to be square, but where possible i will be using round wood timber framing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5rT7F0PGNuD54rJ9kzgWzw

Last edited:

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Hope all goes well with this project I am very jealous! I keep looking for something myself but even wasteland is so expensive. Maybe one day...

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
i know, and land is going up and up in price to. it was not cheap, intact i am now all but broke. i worked very hard, but i was very fortunate that my house went up in value. i am very grateful but also sadened that hard work does not equal wealth and for me to have this privalidge someone has to work for many years to pay for a house that had a hugely inflated price.

i hope to improve a neglected woodland and some over grazed pasture and make it available for educational purposes. and to show young people that there is alternative ways of living that are connected with nature and not separate from it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You must tell us more on this project; it sounds good fun.

I am out of my house at the moment; away studying. I am considering selling up and getting some woods myself...But where? My tutors have decided to make an Archaeologist of me, and such folk as a rule have only short contracts, they are here and there.

The house is a dratted liability at the moment (not to mention my kit...) I worked (and cunninged) hard to get it too. But hey, you have it or you dont...and its best to have it if you can. I grabbed my opportunity both hands and both feet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How did you get on with planning permission? It is so often difficult on greenfield woodland.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
in wales.they have a policy called policy 52, and i will be applying under that policy. it is by no means easy to do, but in wales it is at least possible. providing that you can prove that you can provide for your own needs and support local economoy and use natural materials.

there is an unimagonalbe amount of paperwork and is going to be by far the biggest challenge. i am not phased at all by the building.but i am terrified of the burocracy

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good luck to you!
I know some ex-travellers who bought a woodland in Wales to live in. They too started from scratch, initially living out of their wagons and having no services. They have struggled with the paperwork ... an ongoing battle that has lasted several years so far.
If you are in West Wales I could try and put you in contact with them for any advice they might have on fighting the paperwork battle!

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
Good luck to you!
I know some ex-travellers who bought a woodland in Wales to live in. They too started from scratch, initially living out of their wagons and having no services. They have struggled with the paperwork ... an ongoing battle that has lasted several years so far.
If you are in West Wales I could try and put you in contact with them for any advice they might have on fighting the paperwork battle!

Thank you very much for the offer but i have a lot of contacts in west wales that have done the process, infact i have done a lot of volenteering on the projects, so i have a lot of great people that can give advice. and a nice guy also gave me a planning consultants number who knows all the personalities in the council office.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wish you luck but after watching your Red Pill/Blue Pill video I think you have a romantic notion of the way society is the way it is.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I very much envy your position and wish you all the luck with it. I acquired some land 2 years ago with a view to doing the same, however stringent planning regulations are proving very hard to compromise with or circumvent. Keep at it and I'm sure there will be a break through for you

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Looks like a great project. Roughly where in Wales is the land? I and I'm sure many others on the forum would be willing to pitch in some work for a night or 2 in the woods:)

skills I can offer are fairly few But I'm fairly young (under 30) and fairly fit. I do a lot of DIY and I'm ok at woodwork and joinery.

My real skills are in brewing (beer mostly but I have experience in wine/cider etc).

I'm Reading based so Wales is pretty easy to get to.

PM me if you're interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE