Snugpack Underblanket - Cold?

I have been using my snugpack UB for quite some time now and sometimes it has worked well and others I have still felt cold.
Our recent local meet the temperatures would have been around 0 or slightly above. The first night I was a little bit chilly (my sleeping bag is an Alpkit SH 800) but I managed to sleep through reasonably ok. The first night isnt always the best.

The second night my backside was feeling the cold (even after our usual haggis meal :rolleyes:). Eventually I gave in at 2am and got out the rollmat and fed it in between the DD hammock's layers. After that I was snug as a bug for the remaining nights (too hot on 1 ocassion).

So is there something I am not doing correctly with the UB? It was tied pretty well at the ends of the hammock to make sure there were no channels/gaps for the cold air to go down. The draw cords at the sides were pulled pretty tight though so maybe it was compressing the UB in that area?

Second question.....how have people set up their UBs? Anyone got any good pictures or modifications?
I was thinking of getting a couple Karibiners and looping the cords through them so that it is easy to attach and detach.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
HI, I have the snugpak uq, and tbh for me anything under about 0 deg I need to use something else with it.
I too use a roll mat and am then toasty.
What I do is use mini crabs each of the bungees, the 2 inner cords go to the dutch hook that attaches my whoopies to my tree straps.
The 2 outer cords then go over the top of my ridgeline and clip to the webbing on the opposite side of the uq.

Your sides should then be quite high up, so high in fact when your in it you cant see out without looking over the top of the uq sides.

I also use a winter down top quilt from Uk Hammocks in my hammock.

Does all that make sense?

I used mine like this at Northwood last weekend and was toasty warm all weekend.

Another way I have read recently if you didnt want to use a roll mat as it can be a bit tippy is to put a light weight sleeping bag inside your uq, although I have not tried this method yet.

Hope this helps

Atb
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used mine well into the minuses when I had it, that was with an Elite 4 bag so you should be good with the SH800 Andy

Have a read through this thread, something might be not quite right. I remember I had mine pulled up fairly snug against the bottom of my hammock, but Gailainne once mentioned that he'd had a touch of CBS one night and found by loosening his off it cured it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I used mine well into the minuses when I had it, that was with an Elite 4 bag so you should be good with the SH800 Andy

Have a read through this thread, something might be not quite right. I remember I had mine pulled up fairly snug against the bottom of my hammock, but Gailainne once mentioned that he'd had a touch of CBS one night and found by loosening his off it cured it.

You would not believe how many times I have searched for that lol!!

Cheers Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You would not believe how many times I have searched for that lol!!

Cheers Rich

Lol, I was going to send you the link the other day when you PM'd me, my piccy was missing though and I've only just found it again in the new photobucket :)

Cheers folks. I think it may have been a case that the UB was too tight. I will investigate next time I am out. :)

I read the instructions but managed to follow half way and got lost. Then I found your pic Shewie. Silly question, I take it if it is raining the water won't run down the UB shock lines and soak the UB?

One thing that I don't have is a utility line under my tarp. Its a DD so the hoops are on the outside of the tarp rather than inside. I have been meaning to fit the utility line at some point but never got round to it. :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As long as the shockcord is kept under the cover of your tarp it'll be fine, I've not had any probs with it running along the utility line either.

I just used to tie the utility line as though it was another tarp ridgeline, same knots etc. handy for hanging a jacket and boots off to under the tarp.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
There are a few issues with the snugpak UB. Firstly at least on mine the toggles on the sides were not strong enough to hold the cord and during the night. Secondly the blanket is not differentially cut so you have to be very careful not to over tighten and crush the insulation. In a similar way a small mat under the bum spreads the load so it doesn't crunch the insulation in that area. Bathe final thing isnthatbthe ends are not cinched up so drift channels can develop. I stitched a channel in and draw it closed bungie cord. Hope some of that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE