Snowdonia

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
So ill be camping there this summer. Any particularly good spots for exploring?Gonna be first of many trips hopefully in terms of bushcraft.Realy tempted to wild camp but if im right ill illegal in most spots! No clue on laws on killing small game like rabbits etc.

So yeah any areas, camp sites, forests, tips
Baring in mind im 18 will be traveling on foot and with my girlfriend:D

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i will be there from next thursday until monday, so if i see any particularly good spots i will tell you. after a quick look on google all the woodland around where we are camping looks to be fenced off, but i will ask some locals about it.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
as for killing animals, im camping on a farm so i will take my slingshot and ask them about hunting there (there will likely be bunnies and pigeon which they wont want, and rats, but i would prefer my gun for anything but bunnies), but really you need to get permission from the landowner.
there are some nice big lakes, and of course the sea, so you could fish. if you dont want to take a rod then search the forum for "hobo fishing reels". the guys on here make them beautifully out of wood, but the concept works with anything round, a stick, a tin can etc. you will need a fishing license for the freshwater fishing. you can eat pike, eel and perch as well as trout and salmon, so you are bound to find something edible.
you may also want to try collecting some shellfish from the beaches if they are appropriate (if they are polluted, which is unlikely in wales, then dont eat muscles, limpets are fine though). look through the "lovely grub" forum for ideas.

not to be patronising, but are you sure about a wild camping trip as your first bushcraft outing? would it not be better to have a definite place to stay, like a proper campsite (or the place i am going: LL55 4SR ) and then go out during the day to find nice wild camp spots and spend the days there with a fire going or whatever and then go back to the place you know you arent going to be kicked out of in the middle of the night.
gain knowledge of the area first, see where you can wild camp and what the best places are, then you can go there next time knowing exactly what you can do legally.

have fun anyway, ant take lots of pictures :D

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
sounds like a good plan about the hunting thing. slingshots/bows would be ace
would I literally go to a farmhouse knock and just ask about there land? will definetley look into the sea food and I was hoping for a double hammock to go a bit wilder. May be a smarter idea though

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Really, really stupid law. i reckon it was made by the rabbits.
aaanyway... if i can get permission and you are going there then i will give you the farms contact details and you could even take an air gun and do a proper job of it.
but, please make sure you are good with whatever you are hunting with. im not completely 100% with my slingshot accuracy yet, and there is the issue of getting close to the bunnies.

so, what kit are you taking?

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
If you are more than a mile away from a road/civilisation then its accepted if you wild camp in the hill or mountain area of the national park. If you are planning on using the forest or low land areas thats where you might have to ask or get hassle if you dont. The sooner we can get the same laws as scotland in place the better (like that will happen).

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
got a good shot with that sort thing so wouldn't be a problem. its quick kill or dont fire
water proofs warm clothing
double hammock and tarp
cooking pot kit thing I got in spain, flasks etc
multi tool shovel especially if I decide not to take my clipper
flint steel
blankets/sleeping bag
first aid kit
flashlight/lantern
toiletries and medication
nomnoms and I think thats a quick mental list

sounds good peter thanks

brilliant thanks

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
despite the relatively safe climb up snowdon, please be careful, mountain rescue people have enough work without sending helicopters out to get lost/injured hikers.

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
its sound i've been there twice before when younger and I generally stick to designated or dirt paths
I got a shovel with a saw on it so I could generally survive with that:p
You should check the chinese army shovels I was tempted but opted out since im not experienced

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
with enough practice I cant see what the problem would be. Would love to try and work a deadfall trap too.My options are just limited because I dont fancy taking an air rifle on a train or coach

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the chinese shovels might be useful in a survival situation, but can you make feathersticks with one or carve something with one? you really need the proper tools for the job.
i think i know the pick/shovel thing you have, i have had 2, the first died very quickly doing something like chopping down a tree or breaking up boulders or something stupid, and the second still lives and has its uses while off-roading. but, usually, one thing that does loads of things doesnt do any of them well.

it wont be long before your buying new bits of kit weekly, trust me :D :D

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Llyn Gwynant campsite http://www.gwynant.com is nice and allows fires in the supplied raised firepits. You can also hire canoes and kayaks. It could be a pig to get to by public transport though. If you did your research I'm sure you could probably get a train to Betws-y-Coed or Porthmadog and then a bus to the site.
Or maybe here http://camping.forestholidays.co.uk/camping__caravan_holidays_at/our_sites__locations/wales/beddgelert.aspx It would give you a comfortable place as a base for you to get out into the surrounding forest.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
with enough practice I cant see what the problem would be. Would love to try and work a deadfall trap too.My options are just limited because I dont fancy taking an air rifle on a train or coach

Don't kill anything then. Your chances of a clean kill with an air rifle are greater than using a sling shot, a deadfall is a definate no no. Break your rifle down and pack it in your rucksack.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Don't kill anything then. Your chances of a clean kill with an air rifle are greater than using a sling shot, a deadfall is a definate no no. Break your rifle down and pack it in your rucksack.

Unless you have permission from a landowner to use a rifle and are acting responsibly and away from public then i wouldn't entertain taking it. Last thing you want is to be charged with armed trespassing.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE